We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

infant car seat width 777-200 Air New Zealand

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
infant car seat width 777-200 Air New Zealand

Travelling Brisbane to Vancouver next week with Air New Zealand on a 777-200. We have a 2 year old who has never slept anywhere but her crib or a car seat. We want to bring a car seat with us as the flight is overnight and the hope is that she will sleep most of the way. Problem is that Air New Zealand has very specific dimensions that the car seat must be, 43 cm (17 inches) wide and 65 cm high max. I have searched far and wide and am almost positive that a seat of this width does not exist in Australia. Booster seats are not allowed. The seat we have is only 2 cm's wider.

I've called Air New Zealand a couple of times, each time the person on the other end recites what I have in front of me on the internet. No idea weather there is any flexibility with size.

I have looked into the Cares harness which is an option but I'm really not sure if she will sleep in it, plus 110 dollars for a harness seems a bit excessive.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Seems uncommon for anyone to take a car seat with them on the plane but makes perfect sense to me if you have a toddler who is pretty hard to control at the best of times but settles well in the car seat not to mention safety issues. I don't even see how we will keep the lap seat belt on her if we don't have the car seat, she will figure out how to unlatch it in about 2 seconds then be climbing on my head!

As far as I can tell at this point, Air New Zealand has a policy that says you are welcome to bring a car seat on board as long as you can find one with dimensions that don't exist.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,538 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: infant car seat width 777-200 Air New Zealand

Why post a new question? All you have done is duplicate the previous one, where you have received some responses.

tripadvisor.com.au/…60196915

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: infant car seat width 777-200 Air New Zealand

I didn't realise there was a seat guru forum and thought it might be more relevant. Copied and pasted my message but couldn't remember the exact question and was too lazy to go back and look. Sorry if it was a pointless repost, no more pointless than your response though

3. Re: infant car seat width 777-200 Air New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions