We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which seat 777-200ER?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
133 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Which seat 777-200ER?

I am flying with my partner on a Singapore Airlines 777-200ER and plan to have seats in the centre of the aircraft so that one of us has an aisle seat and the other be in the middle. I am undecided as to whether to take row 43 or 36/37/38. Row 43 is closer to the toilets but far enough away to be undisturbed by them and also far enough away from the bassinets to avoid an ear bashing from crying infants.

What concerns me is engine noise. I understand that the front of the plane is less noisy than behind the wing and row 43 appears to be parallel with the engines. I am aware that the engine noise itself can be reduced with earplugs but the "hum" or vibration cannot so should we risk the possibility of crying babies and sit further up the front? Which row should I pick?

Many thanks.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which seat 777-200ER?

I'm personally never bothered by engine noise - it's a constant that for me becomes background noise that I can block out.

I don't think it really matters where you sit if you encounter a crying baby as it can be irritating.

If you are sensitive to noise on flights you might want to invest in some noise cancelling headphone.

If it was me I'd opt for Row 43.

New York
Level Contributor
254 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which seat 777-200ER?

you can find seat plans with ratings on specific seats on seatguru. com

New Zealand
Level Contributor
133 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which seat 777-200ER?

Yes, I have studied Seat Guru but was hoping for advice from experienced fliers. Noise canceling headphones don't help with engine hum/vibration but I think I will stick to seat 43 and hope for the best. Thank you both for your interest.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,659 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which seat 777-200ER?

Suggestion... why not take either a window and an aisle leaving the middle seat empty. One of you can trade with the middle seat person if they even show up... if the airline is able to sell the middle seat (they are the last to go). Alternatively, take two aisle seats across from each other. Then you have a trading option for one of the middle seat people.

On that aircraft, the engine noise is not very materially different as you move back. Yes, it gets a few decibels louder, but it isn't bad. You can always bring ear plugs.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
133 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which seat 777-200ER?

Just as a follow up, our flight from Christchurch to Singapore on the 777-200 in seats 43G and 43E was a completely different experience to the return flight home where we were in seats 38G and 38E. The latter was extremely "noisy", not so much from the engines themselves but from a rhythmic humming/droning type of vibration shake that was most unpleasant. It was so bad that neither my partner nor myself got any sleep at all on the overnight flight and when we asked the stewardess about it she just said there was nothing wrong and that it was normal.

Given that we have been on many flights in different aircraft and that this was our worst flight in this respect I am thinking perhaps our seat position could have made it feel worse. We were further back down the plane on the trip going so perhaps that is why it was not a problem then? The flights from Singapore to London and return on a 777-300 did not have this issue at all, despite us being in the same row of seats as from SIN to CHC.

6. Re: Which seat 777-200ER?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2016, 05:17
Get answers to your questions