We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

Obviously I would not know the cost of all hotels in the world but recently doing some research here and found the amounts outdated.

It's a little shocking when you find good reviews and a hotel say for $120 only to find out really that it's actually $239...

also provide links to the hotels website if they have one...

London, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

I liker to see prices actually paid in the reviews because that gives an idea of the value. What I dont find very useful is the 'Average Price' guide which may be an accurate average but is very often 50% more or less than the current rate available. Perhaps a min-max range might be more useful.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,958 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

I agree, as I find the listed price to usually be far lower than what I find on the hotel website, for example. I realize that TA uses a "year round average", but that seems to still be somewhat inaccurate most times, or only valid during the depths of winter in cold climates.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

It's rather like a broken clock. If it's completely stopped, at least it's right twice a day....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,096 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

I can't see Trip Advisor making links to hotel websites direct from reviews etc.TA make money to run this website from adverts that are linked to each review/thread etc so including a website ink for free would undermine their advertising oppertunities (and rightly so).

It is not difficult to find a hotel website with a little googling.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

Why can't TripAdvisor make links from the header of each hotel, in that list with the photos and virtual tours from the hotels? Instead it takes you to Expedia, which is already an advertisement for Expedia. It drives me crazy to waste time tracking down a hundred hotels' websites, and I actually quit using the site last night because I was so frustrated with the lack of links to the official hotel websites.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,096 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

Let you into a secret.

Trip Advisor is owned by Expedia.......... don't tell anyone.

Scotland
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

Hi TheChick,

The average price on view on the hotel details on TA are the average price for the year. The figure given by TA is based on a hotel that is registered with the companies that advertise here on TA.

Such as Expedia, Laterooms, Bookings.com and all the sisters companies of these Accommodation booking companies.

So for example if the hotel you are looking at does not have a line at the bottom of its details saying check the best deals on this hotel. Then the average price provided by TA is based on what TA can pick up from the website and the companies this hotel advertise with on the prices for this hotel. If this hotels website is not up to date then the information on the hotel on TA could be old information.

TOY

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

A similar topic of prices in reviews came up a while back

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k2510233…

raquel

9. Re: Update cost for hotel stays and links to their websites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 12:22