We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How about donating locally.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
How about donating locally.

I think your million dollar donation and your choices of organizations is awesome. But how about keeping some of that money local in the US. Right now millions of people in the south of the US can use help.

I live in Texas and millions of people are still in horrible shape from IKE this past week. Some have lost their homes and business totally. People in Louisianna are still recovering from three years ago and have had new damage from Gustav especially in the Baton Rouge area.

I know these aren't hot travel spots. But, a lot of the people/travelers that make Trip advisor what is is live in these states.

Just something to consider especially as you are giving during this bad Hurricane time.

Didn't know how to contact the "powers to be" at Trip Advisor. So, hopefully someone will see this here!

Thank you!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How about donating locally.

Is Tripadvisor just for Americans then ?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,404 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How about donating locally.

I recommend you post this message on the TripAdvisor Causes forum, which is about donations by travellers to charities all over the world:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12140-TripAdvi…

3. Re: How about donating locally.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2008, 01:11
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,497 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How about donating locally.

MarianReader... good thoughts, but why not just use a phone and call your local branch of the Red Cross, and ask for the info you need to make a donation to where you want it directed?!

The past few Atlantic storms and hurricanes have heavily-devastated many areas of the Caribbean, as well as the US - including much loss of life (human and otherwise) on the islands of Cuba and Haiti. The storms this year, are far from being only USA-related tragedies!!

As has been suggested, you might wish to post your particular interest (in cause and charity) in the appropriate forum - the 'TripAdvisor Causes' forum.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,497 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How about donating locally.

barbexpat ... in support of your comment, the 'theme' of my comments is directed to the original poster as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How about donating locally.

(Sarcasm:) 'Cause the U.S. recession and hurricane damage is definitely far more pressing than the world food crisis. It (Ike, etc) is a legitimate cause, but I don't see why it is any more important than the charities already listed. Argh, this is hard to put to words. If TripAdvisor is going to donate money to this one specific local cause, they it'll have to donate to the rest as well, not just what you and other people affected feel is pressing. Given the huge range of users' locations, I don't find it fair to serve the interests of one specific group.

Kristian

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How about donating locally.

In addition to my above post, I'm wondering why TA should exclusively help Texas and other U.S. areas and not Cuba and Haiti, which were much more extensively damaged by the hurricane. "Sure", you might say, "Let's help the Cubans and Haitians, too." Then I could ask why we couldn't help another similar cause, and another, and another. Thus it ends up that TA is giving money to specific local needs all around the world, which is much more complicated than just apportioning money to a few environmental, scientific, and humanitarian causes that serve the interests of people around the world.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,291 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How about donating locally.

OK, my lip is swollen from biting it as a result of this post....

The Orignal Post is a completely ethnocentric post.

Two points - acknowledging the previous responses...

1. "How about keeping some of that money local in the US. Right now millions of people in the south of the US can use help".

TA is an international organisation. The US is a very wealthy country that can afford space travel, a very expensive election and has many billionaires.

There are millions of people in other parts of the world who only travel because they have to walk many miles to get water, to seek medical help, to get food. For many, travel is in fear because of their tribe or their home town. They will be attacked because they are not of the locals.

2. "a lot of the people/travelers that make Trip advisor what is is live in these states".

I refer to my previous post. TA is an international organisation. Those living in the affected states comprise only a very small number of the overall TA posters, and to suggest that their posts and yours are the pivotal posts on TA, debases the contributions worldwide of many many others.

The reasons people in e.g. The Carribean or Africa or Burma don't contribute, is because they don't have computers, they don't have the internet, they are barely able to have their basic needs of food and safety.

To the OP. Please. Stop thinking that Texas is the centre of the Universe. Its not. There is a big, big world out there, full of other people, people who struggle for existence even before the advent of such natural disasters as typhoons, drought, locust plagues, malaria etc.

Use TA wisely and learn about the rest of the world.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How about donating locally.

Bravo - well said

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How about donating locally.

I guess that was pretty much what I was trying to say except with a little more cushioning. :)