We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Needham, MA
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Topic
Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Hello all,

Thank you all for your suggestions posted on this forum. As has been mentioned, we read this forum, and the thoughts and ideas are shared with the relevant folks at TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate the time many of you have given to provide constructive suggestions to improve our service.

I understand that some of you want feedback... which ideas do we agree with... which are we going to implement... and to potentially have an open discussion about the pros and cons of every suggestion. Unfortunately, we're not prepared to do that for a couple of reasons. The first is that we are always reprioritizing what we plan to do next... (staying nimble)... so we'd be disappointing many and surprising others all the time. And second (and arguably more important), is that we don't want to give our competitors advance notice of what we plan on adding.

I know that is disappointing... as anyone who takes the time to make a suggestion would naturally want to know whether we are going to act upon it, but we just aren't prepared to share our "future feature list" at this time.

However, as an experiment, I'm going to contribute to this thread for awhile, personally, and try to comment on some of the suggestions made. I'm sure I won't have the time to comment on all of them, and I can predict I'll be saying "nice idea... we agree..." quite a bit... and still not provide any sort of timetable. But I love our products, and like everyone here, am genuinely interested in how we can make them better. So I'm listening (though not promising daily responses!).

Sincerely,

Steve Kaufer

CEO, TripAdvisor

p.s. I'm using the taguy account now, though others at TripAdvisor have used the account in the past (and others will use it in the future).

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,623 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Thanks, I will respond in full shortly

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,623 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Hi again

Can I just say that I have never expected you to share your "future list" with us as this would be business sensitive

My original suggestion the introduction of a sticky on this forum which would contain some text about the forum and give a link to a TA file/spreadsheet which would list all the suggestions put forward by users to date as this would give us all [new and existing users to this forum] a reference point

It could also provide a link to the original post so the person could look at the original thread[s] for further details of the suggestion put forward

The file would list all the suggestions by date and also categorise them by how useful TA thought they were and give us an idea where they were in the overall mix of things - I am quite happy to fore go the timescale part

The file could also show which ones had been actioned - new forums

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Thanks, Steve.

Nice to see you in the forums, thanks for taking the time out to read what goes on here.

-Noah

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Steve.

Seeing you are the CEO and hopefully I have your attention..(LOL).I'm getting in quickly with my suggestions.

The things that bug me the most are :

1. No edit button on the forum format.

2 Unable to post pictures on traveler's list..(should be like inside pages format) it would create a more attractive page..as pics do tell a story.

3. Editing of Inside Pages. ( I don't write them anymore)...

Thanks for listening !

EM.

Needham, MA
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Hi EM,

> 1. No edit button on the forum format.

Sorry, but I don't follow what you want.

> 2 Unable to post pictures on traveler's list..(should be like inside pages format) it would create a more attractive page..as pics do tell a story.

While I agree it would be nice to have... we aren't likley to do more feature work on traveler lists in the near term. I think you can link to an inside page, or a blog at travelpod which can have lots of photos.

> 3. Editing of Inside Pages. ( I don't write them anymore)...

??? Everyone can edit inside pages. Again, just a bit confused on my end.

> Thanks for listening !

thanks for writing. -Steve

Needham, MA
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Hello flipflop_man,

I'll chat with a few folks next week re: the sticky suggestion. I'm willing to share our general level of interest in features, at least as an experiment to see how it goes. Let me find out the extent to which it has already been thought about internally.

Steve

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,623 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Steve

Thanks

I think by the time this thread runs for a few hours you will see the benefit of having a list of all the ideas that have been raised to date.

As by posting this thread you have already started the ball rolling with people telling you about things that have already been raised, discussed and perhaps even out forward for development

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Glad TA are listening.

Whatever you finally decide to implement, please bear in mind that many contributors (like me) are IT challenged. Remember you can have contributors who are devoted to travel and helping others but have just learnt how to e-mail and browse.

As most of us put the destination forums that interest us in our favorites we rarely refer to the home page.

It took me ages to realise that non destination forums even existed. At first I also didn`t realise that the Inside Pages were not written by TA and so can (and do) contain many inaccuracies. Even getting in touch with TA is not that obvious nor is the explanations section eg regarding popularity index.

Please ensure that everything is kept simple and TA gets easier to navigate as there is so much that many of us never get to.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

> 3. Editing of Inside Pages. ( I don't write them anymore)...

??? Everyone can edit inside pages. Again, just a bit confused on my end. >>>

-------------------------------------------

I think this is the problem. While I have never written an Inside Page - I have been put off doing so after reading how other peoples efforts have been ruined because "anyone" can go in and edit someone elses write up. When someones hard work is "edited" by someone who has never even been to the country in question the result is incorrect information. This has put many of us off wanting to go to the effort of writing one up.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thank you - from the CEO of TripAdvisor

Hi Steve

Thank you for both responding to our concerns and for publishing your own thread on HUMTAB.

I look forward to watching this thread develop over the coming days and weeks.

OD