We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

The idea of letting people vote "helpful" or "unhelpful" on reviews may have been a good one, but it doesn't seem to function the way it was intended. If people like you or agree with your review, they may choose a "helpful" vote. On the other had, if people dislike you or disagree with your review, they may choose "unhelpful." In practice, whether a review has been voted helpful or not seems to have little to do with the quality of the review. I propose that TA do away with the "helpful/unhelpful" votes, as they seem to do more harm than good. Discussion, anyone?

I did a search on this forum for this topic, and was surprised to come up empty handed, as I thought this was something that had been discussed.

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

It certainly needs to be looked at. But if a review has a large proportion of unhelpful votes, then maybe TripAdvisor could look at the review to see if there is anything that might be wrong with it. As an example, the ones where people didn't actually stay at the place, or don't write anything but comments like, "The staff was rude". But then don't actually state why.

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

You say that voting does more harm than good ~ what harm or good can the votes do? One person's opinion is different from the next person.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

What good do they do? None, in my opinion. What harm do they do? Well, some people are voting unhelpful just because they can, or because they don't like you, or because they disagree with your review. It often has absolutely nothing to do with whether the review actually was helpful.

You have only 4 reviews; how do you feel when someone votes a review "unhelpful?" Perhaps it doesn't bother you, but others it does. And that's the harm; it may discourage some with a real contribution to make from submitting a review that could be of real help to someone.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

I don't pay attention to them, generally. I have posted a 'helpful' or 'unhelpful' once or twice when a review was either excellent or garbage.

Some of my reviews have been voted unhelpful and I just think 'meh, whatever'.

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

What would maybe make it better, if there is a requirement for helpful/unhelpful, is to do something similar to the report a post idea, and to have a list of reasons why it is helpful/unhelpful to choose from.

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

Zoey ~ I hadn't looked at your "score" when I first replied to your post, but now I have. 20 helpful out of 22 votes doesn't seem to be anything to get upset about.

Surely the important thing is that you (like myself) have given an honest opinion of places you have stayed at.

It is noticeable that reviewers who didn't like places, get more unhelpful votes than satisfied customers.

Does it really matter?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

I'm not upset for myself. But I have heard others express dismay at unhelpful votes, particulary when there is no way to tell why the review was unhelpful. Some folks seem to draw unhelpful votes, and it's easy to draw the conclusion that it's somebody out there who has it in for you in whatever small way they can. It's also a bit unsettling when a restaurant review says only, "good times" or "avoid" and it gets helpful votes, probably from the friends of the poster. We need an eye roll emoticon here!

In the overall scheme of the universe, no, it probably doesn't matter, but if it's a feature that's not helpful, why keep it?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,896 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

Zoey ~ this topic was recently discussed in a destination forum I visit. The person who posted 3 reviews (after 12,000+ forum posts) was dismayed to see so many "unhelpful" votes to her reviews and wondered if it was even worth her time to review a restaurant or property.

If a hotel review is full of trip review information (transportation, nearby restaurants, shopping, etc) instead of actual information about the hotel, then I vote it is "unhelpful." But the limited hotel information may be accurate.

----------------------

"I propose that TA do away with the "helpful/unhelpful" votes, as they seem to do more harm than good." Zoey1996

-------------------

I agree. If there is no use to the "helpful" rating, then why does TA have it?

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

Let's not forget that some reviews are distinctly unhelpful. Others are so badly written that it is difficult to understand what the reviewer is saying.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Use of "Helpful/Unhelpful" votes on reviews

True, but does voting one way or the other change that?