We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conflict of interest

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
Save Topic
Conflict of interest

Since this *is* the Feedback Forum, here's feedback from me regarding the Traveler's Network.

I've only recently noticed( to my utter amazement, I might add) that some TA staff are listed on certain TA members' Traveler Network lists; doesn't TA think this is a real conflict of interest??

This is what you (TA) say in your Help Center:

"Having a traveler network will help you plan your trips better and smarter by getting advice from people you trust.

The traveler network gives you the ability to connect to other travelers - such as your friends, family or other TripAdvisor members - and instantly see their travel map, reviews, goLists, photos and videos. In addition, you will see their contributions featured first on destination and hotel pages as you browse TripAdvisor. You benefit by connecting with people you know who have been where you want to go."

Okay, so let's say "TAModer8tor" is connected to TA member "DisruptiveOne"'s Traveler network. So TAModer8tor wants to go to Timbuktu and "DisruptiveOne" has ( supposedly) been there several times and there ensues a 'friendly' chit-chat between the two and an exchange of Timbuktu-related advice and comments, culminating in TAModer8tor's fantastic trip to that place, thanks in large part to DisruptiveOne's suggestions.

So along comes another forum poster ( or many other forum posters) who report/s DisruptiveOne for being...er, disruptive.

Hmmmm... see the problem?

That's why companies have strict rules related to staff - client interactions. Right? Right.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Conflict of interest

Right!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conflict of interest

That has always been my view Living.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Conflict of interest

Right indeed!

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conflict of interest

This is something I have been wondering myself..

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conflict of interest

I have to reluctantly agree, it doesn't look right, even if everything is completely on the level.

I also would like to be able to make the membership of my Traveller Network private; I don't like knowing that people like FlamingPoster and NosyParker can find out who is in my network.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Conflict of interest

@CountryWife: If "it doesn't look right, even if everything is completely on the level", all the more reason not to cloak it in "privacy". "Get the truth", right?

One's profile is public, one's posts are public, one's travel(l)er map is public, one's Inside Pages are public, even one's -ahem- traveler IQ, is public, not to mention the fact that the only 'private' facility on TA, namely, the Private Messaging System can also be 'poked into' by TA staff, as and when they deem 'fit'.

So I don't see why the Traveler Network alone should be made private - it doesn't jeopardize your personal identity or personal information in any way, and no one who is *not* on your list can access anything besides the names displayed on that list. As for FlamingPoster and NosyParker, they could already be on one's Traveler network for all one knows!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,784 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conflict of interest

I agree but one could also ask why some other people has also accepted to be part of a "suspect users" travel network?????

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Conflict of interest

Hi FFM, I see what you mean! Have you asked Ollie the Owl to take himself off your travellers networK? Perhaps we all should :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,784 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Conflict of interest

I nor Living were not talking about Ollie the Owl

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Conflict of interest

OK so whoo whoo whoo FFM? Olly is the only TA Admin either you or I have.