We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

London
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

I don't use the private messaging facility and think that overall it is better this way.

TA is meant to be a public forum and if what one wants to say (to strangers, after all) is not suitable to be read by the public then perhaps it should not be said at all.

And anyway, I was surprised to discover that ones' private messages are not, in fact private but can be (and are) read by TA whenever they wish.

I am discomfitted to read how some "friendships" are developing privately, people are swapping personal email adresses and getting sucked into relationships that are based on falsehoods.

We all know to warn our children not to give out personal information to strangers one meets in chatrooms, but it is of concern to me that some people are not wise enough to take that advice for themselves.

Elaine

PS. There are so many thoughts and concerns I have but am unable to voice....eg is there internet access during flights from USA to UK....?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,677 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

Elaine126,

I don't know why you are shocked that PMs are readable by TA. In the US, it is also completely legal for your ISP to read your e-mails:

nolo.com/article.cfm/…

You wrote: "I am discomfitted to read how some "friendships" are developing privately, people are swapping personal email adresses and getting sucked into relationships that are based on falsehoods."

TA members are (mostly) adults; I'm not sure why you feel that this whole thing is a major concern. Why do you feel so strongly that people are "getting sucked into relationships that are based on falsehoods"? This can happen just as easily face to face; I meet someone at church or the book club, what's to protect me from being lied to or even conned by this person?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,126 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

CW

I think the point that the OP is trying to make is that if you, let us say, had already been duped by a person and then you saw that person talking away to a friend or in fact a neighbour who had just moved in would you feel obliged to say something to warn them???

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,513 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

Hi FFM;

I think you would agree;

There is a BIG difference between warning someone and shutting down the PM system, which is what the OP has suggested.

Best Regards

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,126 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

RT

I totally agree and I am sure that what TA would say about such PM traffic is the same thing the say about the requests to zap posts that contain information and that is that they are not in a position to decided if what is being said is incorrect or false.

I do however, feel in certain instances it must be apparent to TA that the person sending the PM's is not being truthful and in that case the PM facility should be withdrawn.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,677 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

According to Elaine126's reasoning, since people are regularly defrauded via letter mail, telephone and internet (see www.phonebusters.com ), those systems should also be shut down completely in the interests of protecting all. Indeed, Elaine126 didn't even raise the question of criminal fraud; she even wants to protect us all from "relationships based on falsehoods". Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,513 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

FFM;

Yes, I would agree that the ability to PM should be withdrawn from an individual who abuses the system.

>"Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped?"<

>"We all know to warn our children not to give out personal information to strangers one meets in chatrooms, but it is of concern to me that some people are not wise enough to take that advice for themselves."<

The way I read the OP's comments is that TA should shut down the entire PM system to protect us from ourselves. That, IMO, is overkill !

Best Regards

Swansea
Level Contributor
33 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

I occasionally reply to a hotel review just to confirm a review of a hotel I've stayed at.This is because when I have complained to a tour operator about a hotel,I always get the standard reply that no-one else has complained.It does make one feel like the guest from hell,but all I've ever wanted of a hotel is that it is clean,I can eat the food without danger and that I generally am made to feel welcome.The more the general public band together, as on trip advisor,the more chance there is of the good hotels surviving and the bad ones going to the wall.After all,we're all paying good money to these people.In essence,my replies to a spot-on hotel review is just saying " you're not alone" which is exactly not what the tour operators want you to think.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,126 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

RT & CW

I totally agree it would be overkill and I think the OP also realises that and that is why she added "No Chance" into heard thread heading

What I am advocating is that perhaps TA could police it a bit better

London
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

I think I said I was surprised rather than shocked; I would have thought that the moderators had more important things to spend their time on than reading private messages, and find many of their decisions to be illogical.

It is, as you say, very useful, sometimes, to be able to contact other members directly, and agree that totally stopping private messaging would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I just think the pm facility can be abused and felt like posting a provocative question in order to stimulate a discussion.

And though, if aware of it, one would like to help other members of the community from being conned, I guess, as you say, we are all grown-ups and maybe people just have to learn for themselves.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Perhaps All Private Messaging Should Be Stopped? (No Chance)

I believe they only read the PMs when they are notified of an issue of abuse of the function.

As to 'relationships based on falsehoods' EH???

I have met lots of very nice people, in person, and made good friends through another travel based forum I participate on. And, in fact, there are regular meets of people on the London forum (as well as others)

where people have become good friends.

If people want to exchange contact information, they will do so whether or not there is a PM function here.

What I find a little irritating about the PMs here is that people will PM me asking questions that are better asked and answered on the open forums But unless they become a flood, which I doubt, then I can cope with that.