We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

World
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

It seems there are a number of people who contribute here, who are against many of the local Pick imports from Facebook appearing in the Restaurant reviews. They seem to mess up the order that Restaurants appear in a given place, and many, if not most are just a few words, totally useless. If reported as inappropriate, they seem to remain. For me, it has meant that I have looked elsewhere for decent reviews, and will no longer use the TA system. What are your views? Is there any need to keep them? Will you continue to use TA to look for Restaurants?

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

The short answer for a change: NO, they are rubbish and should go.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,077 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

I've reported many very short (3 words or less) reviews as inappropriate, and they've been removed. That was a month or two ago, and it's possible that things are taking longer at the moment, but yes, TA does remove them.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

CW, I don't see why we should be culling through the trash that TA has allowed, no! welcomed, onto the site.

It's TA's responsibility not to allow such trash. Why are our reviews held in a pending status while that junk gets sucked onto TA? That's a real slap in the face to regular, loyal posters.

I know many who have stopped posting restaurant reviews on TA due to TA's desire to pollute the site with such drek. Fortunately, at least in many large US cities, we have Yelp to turn to. The are a much better source of restaurant information.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

I was willing to help TA get rid of the ridiculous one line "Contributor" reviews and only because for a while TA lead us all to believe that they would do something about the whole "local picks" fiasco. When TA said that nothing would be done, I stopped reporting inappropriate reviews. Why should any of us help TA clean up this mess when they keep allowing it to happen? I have better things to do with my time.

And, yes, it is a slap in the face to us members that our reviews are held pending until they are read and approved before going on the site, while the "Contributor" reviews go directly to the site. Time and time again, I've asked TA why they allow this and have received no answer.

Drawsmap---I took RamblinSal's suggestion and now post all my restaurant reviews on Yelp. Perhaps you would like to register on Yelp and post your dining reviews, too.

Whenever someone wrote a trip report in my forum, I would encouage him/her to post their restaurant reviews. I no longer do so.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

Amen SueFee ... but it's like shouting at a rock, isn't it?

I'm amazed to hear that people will report these restaurant reviews as "inappropriate" ... TA is like the a big Hoover bottom feeding on these reviews. It makes a sham of the ones that are written by TA members who spend time and thoughtfully review their meal, only to be upstaged by one the reads, simply: "awesome."

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

Since I have a facebook account, I did an experiment. I first posted a review for the restaurant here on TA. Later, I went to facebook, signed up for "local picks" and wrote a review of the same restaurant. I then removed the "local picks" app from facebook. Both reviews are now posted, and both are attributed to Zoey1996 (that's me. Dusi's Cafe in Williamsburg, VA, if you want to look it up). So it is possible to post (at least) two reviews for the same restaurant. I have since e-mailed TA and asked them to remove the local pick review. But this is an example of why allowing facebook members to do reviews that appear on TA is a problematic. Oh, by the way, my facebook review featured complete, coherent sentences, too! ;-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

Agree with both of you, Sal and SueFee. Such a shame that TA has cheapened the restaurant reviews.

I have a very real concern that TA will soon be allowing similar "reviews" for lodging. They already are allowing anonymous Expedia people to leave hotel "reviews".

AND - TA has yet to implement the promised improvement of listing member's reviews along with their forum contributions! This at least would save many many hours when one is sorting through hotel reviews, as it would help a reader skip over the "one-offs".

Drawsmap, I still "thunk, thunk, thunk" my head against the proverbial brick wall and do leave restaurant reviews here. I also complain to TA when I see those worthless anonymous "reviews". This is what I send in:

"As suggested by TA staff, I am reporting this because this "reveiw" offers no substantial information about this restaurant. Please remove. Thank you."

Does it work? So far, yes I have had about a dozen removed. Hah! Out of how many hundreds of thousands that are probably out there? [sigh....]

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

However, I do spell "review" correctly when I send that statement in to TA ;-)

Hmmm, hasn't an "edit" button been mentioned around here about 10,000 times?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

half-brit---I was unaware that TA is now allowing anonymous Expedia hotel reviews on site. Since I hear TA is owned by Expedia, I suppose it was inevitable---sigh! However, I have to again ask TA---why not just have these posters join TA? Also, why insist that TA members leave reviews under our screen-names? (Yes, I know we can take an extra step of telling TA we want to be anonymous but TA made a good case for using our screen-names.) However, in light of all these anonymous reviews now being allowed, then why not just post our reviews anonymously, too?

World
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Reviews, and Local Picks

Now that TA seem to have listened to removing the linking to Facebook request, it's time to bring this to the surface as one of the most wanted requests.

Who actually wants the semi anonymous reviews? Surely the way ahead id to remove all of the reviews that are attributed to Facebook (shown as a TripAdvisor Contributor), Expedia and Venere. Once this is done, then TA can ask if people wish to import their reviews, either as a one-off, or to be able to import them on request. That way, the reviews could be attributed to a TA Member immediately, rather than having so many anonymous ones. Which most seem to be a few words, many of no use whatsoever.

Simple? Should be. How about it TA?

Or should that be, 'pls hlp TA.'?

Get answers to your questions