We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re-Reviewing a Listing

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Topic
Re-Reviewing a Listing

Seems to me that there is a necessity for a facility for reviewing a listing a second time( third time?).

How many of us have used a hotel/ restaurant/ other attraction more than once and been disappointed in the second visit?

This would have the benefit of letting other visitors know if a listing has consistently good/bad services, if they have improved/lowered their standards.

For example: I stayed at the same hotel several times, first few times it was OK and I wrote a review saying so, last time I was there is was absolutely awful but I was unable to write a second review.

As I understand it, currently the only way to re-review is to actually modify one's original review by writing a new one and sending it to TA.This seems to detract from the original review as it can give a false impression of a listing.

So, TA, how about a letting us add subsequent reviews? All it really needs, for the reader, is a check box to say that this is a second ( third etc..) review.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,902 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re-Reviewing a Listing

Anemone wrote: "As I understand it, currently the only way to re-review is to actually modify one's original review by writing a new one and sending it to TA.This seems to detract from the original review as it can give a false impression of a listing."

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here, Anemone. I recently submitted an updated review of a restaurant that I had previously reviewed; I noted that some old problems (which I described) had been fixed as a result of renovations. There's no reason why an updated review can't include information about past visits.

But I kind of like the check box idea. I wonder, though,how many people would notice & understand it?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,253 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re-Reviewing a Listing

C_W ~ I believe you are only allowed one hotel review per property. I guess you can review the same restaurant again.

anemone ~ If your last hotel review was some time ago, it might be that folks no longer read it. (Some properties have many many reviews!) Can you ask TA to remove your old review, then submit a new one? It would be worthwhile to comment on your previous stays in your most up-to-date review, especially if you see changes happening. I like to read reviews from folks who have stayed somewhere a few times.

One problem I can think that might happen if TA implements your "subsequent review" policy is that folks can review a place over & over, perhaps without actually staying there. Will their excessively positive or negative views skew the ratings?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,902 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re-Reviewing a Listing

PNWFamily,

Sorry, I should have been clearer; my original restaurant review was removed, as I expected. That's why the new review I submitted covered my past experiences as well as recent changes. Basically it was my old review, but with updates.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Re-Reviewing a Listing

I know we can write a new review and have the older one replaced with it but why should we have to go through the extra steps of contacting TA to have the original review removed in favour of the new one?

Seems like a 'make more work' for the poster project.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,958 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re-Reviewing a Listing

Being able to write multiple reviews would simply "stuff the ballot box" IMO. Yes, of course I know that some people do it anyway with multiple names/addresses. Don't know the solution to that . . .

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re-Reviewing a Listing

Hi Anemone

I recently wrote a review for an island I had visited for the 3rd time. I asked TA to delete my previous review, which they did. I wrote my new review and as a part of it I inserted my review from the previous year.

That seemed to keep everyone happy. My updated review was published without any problems.

OD

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,958 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re-Reviewing a Listing

Yep, I've done that with two different reviews. Works very well :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,407 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re-Reviewing a Listing

I thought that TA permits one review per visit. Thus if you return at a later day, you may write another review. Am I mistaken?

Globe

Still unchecking the stupid FB box. First TA indicated "next week," now it's the week of February 27.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,902 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re-Reviewing a Listing

I'm afraid you're mistaken. From TA's guidelines for reviews ( tripadvisor.com/help/our_guidelines_for_trav… ):

"You may write one review on any given accommodation, restaurant, attraction or location.

Important note: If you'd like to update a review you wrote, please contact us. "

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,407 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re-Reviewing a Listing

Thanks for that. Well, at least you can update your review to reflect more your recent experience. That's good!