We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Troll Catcher

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Topic
Troll Catcher

Is the new 'troll catcher' going to be able to prevent accommodation/attraction owners from repeatedly posting their own reviews?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i9659-k2710997-…

Newton...
Level Contributor
638 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Troll Catcher

Hi anemone,

The system will certainly help stamp out inappropriate/unauthorized content in the forums. Regarding reviews, we already have sophisticated, proprietary tools in place and dozens of inspectors to help detect fraudulent reviews. We also periodically confirm the legitimacy of review authors.

We receives thousands of positive - and negative - reviews each week, and we apply our automatic filters to every review that comes in. As we are extremely concerned about content integrity, we cannot compromise our systems by revealing more specifics about how we police for fraud.

TA_Sara

2. Re: Troll Catcher

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 April 2009, 19:09
UK
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Troll Catcher

I believe the inegrity of TA has been breached by an inn in the UK, how do I alert TA to my concerns?

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Troll Catcher

Check out the Help Centre, every link you will need can be found there.. just go to Tripadvisor Forums, then Forums Help and FAQ, then click on the left where it says Help Centre Home.. always good to have that bookmarked.. it's a very handy place.

Other than that, if you can't be naffed to go through all that, then click here lol : tripadvisor.co.uk/help/postingandediting#c0

But it is still worth bookmarking it for future reference.

CB

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,142 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Troll Catcher

Hi spraybob;

Proper forum etiquette would be to post your questions by starting your own topic so as not to confuse the replies to the original poster.

If you are concerned with the authenticity of a particular review, I would suggest visiting the Help Centre page “Reporting a review that appears to be fraudulent or doesn't meet our guidelines” and following the directions on the page.

tripadvisor.com/help/reporting_a_review_that…

Best Regards

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Troll Catcher

"Is the new 'troll catcher' going to be able to prevent accommodation/attraction owners from repeatedly posting their own reviews?"

Any owner unethical enough to do it in the first place will have no problem avoiding detection by simply having a list of loyal guests they can summon at any time to go write a glowing review from different computers. Or employees do it from home, etc. etc.

The possibilities are endless.

Ethical operators spend their time worrying about doing a good job for their guests, unethical ones spend their time figuring out how to get around any hurdles put in their way that might make them play by the rules.

There actually are a few "travel" consultants out there who have spoken at major small-lodging conferences who advocate "jaking the system" on review sites by owners as a regular part of one's marketing plan.

I've been appalled at the number of fellow innkeepers willing to follow that advice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
7. Re: Troll Catcher

TimToad,

We have filters for that kind of activity. If an owner writes their own reviews they are penalized. I promise.

Barbara-

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Troll Catcher

Barbara,

I'm quite familiar with the filters and review vetting system. The funny thing about human nature is that unethical people like computer hackers or in this case business owners are always looking for new ways to stay ahead of any security systems put in place.

I wasn't referring to owner's themselves sitting at the same computer they joined TA on, that would be too obvious and easy for you all to spot.

I'm talking about the employee who goes home and writes the "rebuttal" type review the day after a business gets a negative review and the new "insty" review addresses and refutes exactly what the business was critiqued about just the day before.

Or the cadre of loyal, old customers, friends or family who are called upon to go write a review if a competitor moves ahead in the rankings of the business, etc.

As I stated in my earlier post, there are B&B consultants speaking at big innkeeping conferences recommending and advocating this kind of manipulation and owner management of the review process.

My ultimate dream for sites like TA are that more emphasis be placed on encouraging objectivity and unsolicited reviews being the optimium.

Perhaps consideration of even a posted mission statement before a review is posted that forewarns of the inherent dangers if too many readers can't or don't trust what they read on sites like this.

I think I read somewhere that some trade associations in the lodging industry have done consumer studies on the issue of review trustworthiness and the results didn't speak well. I'll try to remember where I read that.

Many have offered that the savvy reader will spot the obvious manipulative operators and reviews, but I'm not so sure.

As both a user of TA for my own travel planning and a listed business owner who plays it straight on the review process like most of my local colleagues, we all want honesty, objectivity and real accountability for those who take this precious resource for granted by exploiting its unique format.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Troll Catcher

Hate to burst the TA bubble, but it is easier and more worthwhile spamming TA than it was a few years ago.

We all know that many companies optomise for search engines. We are on the verge of a new industry which is Review Optomisation. It will be here by Xmas.

The problem is the ease of which you can join and leave a review. You really must invest in some account verification software.

I suspect that if you did a poll, then the customer perception is less confidence in the reviews.

10. Re: Troll Catcher

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 June 2009, 19:05