We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

Often times, Users post messages to TA, only to find a typo or error after they hit the Submit button.

If TA could allow a small window of time - say 5 minutes, to allow posters to edit and correct their posting after submission.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,111 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

Hi DXBINC;

This idea has been discussed in great detail on the HUMTAB forum starting back in August '08.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k2182693…

An official things to do list has been compiled with comment from TA staff. Here is TA's reply from "The List" regarding editting, etc.

Best Regards

=====================

"Idea: Allow members to edit their own posts. There have been several mentions of how best to do this. Allow before a certain lapse of time, allow at any time, but with an "edited by _ at (time stamp), allow only if there is no post following, etc."

"TA Comment: We don't want to allow post editing at this time, but we hope that implementing preview functionality"

=====================

"Idea: Allow members to preview postings (WYSIWYG) before submitting them. There are often differences between the way a message looks on the input screen, and the way it looks when viewed after being posted to the forum. Having a preview ability (similar to that currently available in Traveler Articles like this) would be helpful, and might serve as a surrogate for an edit function. Originally proposed by RescueTeam."

"TA Comment: We think this is a great idea and are trying to find a way to make this happen within our current platform restrictions. On our radar for the not-too-distant future, hopefully mid-summer. Just to be up-front with you, this will be implemented after our forums redesign and destination FAQ project, which we will preview with you soon."

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,111 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

sorry, part of my copy & paste was cut off...

"TA Comment: We don't want to allow post editing at this time, but we hope that implementing preview functionality (see ID # Country_Wife_02/18/09) will help to address this problem in the short-term."

Best Regards

p.s. NO...that wasn't intentional

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

See now don't you wish you had an edit button after you discovered it was cut off? lol

4. Re: Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 May 2010, 17:48
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,111 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

magnoliasouth;

If one was able to edit their post at *any* time in the future, they could change the entire thread into one that would no longer be relevant. That is why after considerable discussion (see link above) that the idea of a limited time was decided.

Best Regards

6. Re: Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 15:55
7. Re: Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 May 2010, 17:48
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
8. Re: Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

Can you give me some examples of other forums that allow editing if posts, especially travel related sites. I would like to research this.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
7,978 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

Personally, I think a preview feature would suffice. I think every forum I'm on has this feature where it shows you what your post will look like after submission. If you see a typo or whatever, you can go back and change your post, but once it is submitted, you can no longer change it.

The other thing that I think that would help (and I'm pretty sure this has already been discussed thoroughly) is the ability to see the post I'm actually responding to. Sometimes I forget what a person's questions were and then I have to cancel my post, go back and re-read their post, then compose a new one. It's time consuming.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
579 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Allow a small window of time to change message after posting

TA Barbara

It's not a travel sight, but once you click on the link and scroll down to my username you will see and edit feature(I hope).

www.macca-central.com/forums/viewtopic.php…