We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room numbers as part of the review

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
60 reviews
Save Topic
Room numbers as part of the review

As we all know the quality within a resort or hotel can vary from room to room and someone may have had a fantastic holiday in room 212 of the Bali Hilton but room 567 is next to the laundry with a view of the bins.

It would be really useful to have specific rooms as part of the review so we can ask for the same or similar when booking.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Room numbers as part of the review

I agree that there are differences within a resort and that it is useful to indicate which areas are good/bad when writing a review. I certainly did when I gave a poor review to the number 1 rated resort in Jasper.

However I don't think that it would be useful or wise to supply the information on every review. There have been reports of owners attempting to identify who has written a bad review and harass them.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,623 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Room numbers as part of the review

I agree with the previous poster and would not like to see it as part of the standard formatting

There is nothing wrong with leaving up to the reviewer to add it as part of their review and add a couple of pictures of the view

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,111 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Room numbers as part of the review

Hi ichameleon;

I have to agree with mymsman & FFM's comments. For an example of how some owners / managers threaten reviewers, even after removing their review, have a look at this current thread on the Support Forum;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k2933661…

Best Regards

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Room numbers as part of the review

May seem like a stupid question but how does a hotel/B&B owner get your email address from TA?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Room numbers as part of the review

They don't (I hope) get your address from TA, but room number plus any other identifying information in your review can let them go back through their own records and find your check in card.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Room numbers as part of the review

I understand. So if you provide your email address when booking they will trace you. Guess the only sure fire way to protect yourself would be not to give your email address to anyone. There is no need to anyway.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,111 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Room numbers as part of the review

Hi;

A user, not too long ago, complained that TA had provided an accommodation with his / her home phone number. There is no place to provide your phone number on your profile page !

When you read the posted review, there was sooooo much information that an owner / manager could use to identify the guest, all they had to do was look-up the booking and voila – name, address & phone number. All that WITHOUT posting a room number !

Best Regards

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Room numbers as part of the review

I am pretty new at doing reviews but I do try to give room numbers. As long a my review is honest and truthful what can the hotel do.

Saying that I had a PM from a non-avtive TA member a couple of weeks ago bitterly saying I was wrong with my review on a restaurant I did. It seems that they are friends with the owners and did not like my review. I said it was a honest review of my visit but I will visit it again (tomorrow) with somebody else so they can do another honest review.

ian480.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,345 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Room numbers as part of the review

as far as I am concerned if folk don't like my review because I don't mention my room number then tough luck,they are lucky I am doing a review.

other suggestions have been that all reviews should have photos of the room and the bathroom.

I go on holiday to enjoy myself not to take pictures of rooms ,bathrooms and remember the room numbers,heavens I am lucky if I can remember what bloomimg hotel I stayed in.

No let reviews be free flowing and have no restrictions on ewhat must and must not be in a review.we are not professional travel writers or reviewrs.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Room numbers as part of the review

In case anyone is interested - this suggestion was brought up last year and there were a bit of discussion about it then. If you are curious as to what people said about it back then - here is the link to the thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k2262848…

-Noah