We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Topic
Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

Sorry for two consequetive new threads, but this i feel is quite important.

I have noticed today a new member and their hometown says:

Local Expert.

Now, from what i remember and understand, when you initially sign up you can input whatever you like as your hometown. This is where the problem arises.

I think that TA should do away with this option and only allow new members to select from a pre defined list of areas.

To permit a member to have Local Expert underneath their username in their avatar section is misleading and could lead to misinterpretations in due course.

Any thoughts on this?

CB

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,238 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

I have also seen folks choose a highly inappropropriate "home town." I like your idea.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

I also spotted someone yesterday who was using part of the TA logo as their avatar

I agree it needs to be tightened up

I presume you reported it to TA

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

Yep, "Local Expert" is misleading, and some people put in flippant locations like "By the lake" which aren't very helpful.

But there is a problem with the location picker: it tends to give locations that get cut off when they appear in the location field of forum posts. E.g. places in England come out as "Oxford, United..." because the full "United Kingdom" is too long. My "Toronto, Canada" works much better than the official choice of "Toronto, Ontario, Canada" which doesn't fit and doesn't really help anyone. (Canadians know where Toronto is; everyone else may not know Ontario.) You'll find most of the long-time posters in these places have kept to short locations so they actually fit.

(For PacificNWFamily, it'd mean changing to "Duvall, Washington, USA" -- and in the forums, that'd probably get shortened to "Duvall, ...".)

While we're on the subject of setting location at sign-up, I'm not sure it's clear which location you're supposed to type in. Often enough, you'll see new members whose "location" is the place they're asking about, because they thought that's what the sign-up form wanted them to put in the "location" field.

Edited: 25 January 2010, 14:47
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

Yep Matt, i have heard of that problem before. Well i guess it is better to have a shortened version than be able to put anything you like in there.

At least if users (for the time being anyway) have to select from the areas in the database then they can expand a tad in their profile for those that maybe unsure as to exactly where their hometown is.

FFM - i haven't reported it for two reasons, 1) because i really don't know which link to use and was hoping by creating this someone at TA would see it and take some action, and 2) can't really disclose on the forum as it would be discussing TA procedures and actions (or lack thereof) lol ;-)

But thanks for the input guys.

CB

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

CB

Send the likes of Dan, Sara or Jane a PM and let them know

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,611 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

I think it's a really good point, to have local expert as your hometown could be very misleading. Far better to have a drop down list, but maybe with the option of just having UK (for example) instead of having the exact location?

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

Have sent email FFM and also directed them to this thread.

I agree Annabelle, it's not essential to have every detail of where you are from in your profile display, but as i say if people wish to they can always expand further in their profile.. OR TA could fix the bug so that the display extends maybe another line beneath? That would be the best solution.

CB

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

Thanks for raising this concern and sharing your thoughts on a plausible solution.

It is great when members enter their actual hometown in the location portion of their profile so that fellow members may feel comfortable asking specialized questions from a local. Because we highly respect the privacy and anonymity of our members, however, we do not require or verify any member's actual location. That said, as with any portion of the site, we do not allow members to use offensive or misleading content in the location portion of their profile whether it was intentionally so or not.

Please do contact us directly via the help center, as cheekybadger has done, if you encounter a specific member profile that seems concerning.

Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your participation in this forum!

Best regards,

TA_Louise

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

Thanks for popping in Louise :D

CB

10. Re: Hometown Option On Initial Registration With TA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 07:18