We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Thanks" button in forum posts

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
"Thanks" button in forum posts

OK - I know we've had similar "voting" options discussed in the past, and I know from other discussions that many people enjoy hearing "thank you."

So why not combine the two? I ran into this feature in another message board at: androidforums.com/android-applications/74754…

On each post it has a "thanks" link and running count of how many times the person has been thanked.

I'm thinking this would be kind of cool on here - except without the running totals being shown in public - just on the member's profile. But each post could still say how many times it was "thanked."

This way a person could 'thank' a poster without having to bump the thread up, etc.

What do you think?

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
1. Re: "Thanks" button in forum posts

I think it's quite a good idea, and it is a fairly common feature on many forums out there. I don't see any harm in having it publicly displayed, it would be easier for the poster concerned "receiving" the thanks to see it. I very seldom go into my profile as i don't need to, so if it was on the main forum post itself i think it would be easier.

It's a double edged sword though.. some people say "well you should say thank you anyway" and some say "well i'm very busy but if my sentiment is the same then why should it matter if i can just click a button to say thanks?"

I can see both points of view so i'm split - but in essence i think it's a good idea.

The problem with this format of website/forum is that many of the mainstream forums come with so many features included that have been requested on this site, this included, however would they be workable with everything that needs to be achieved on here? Maybe, maybe not - but could you imagine the outcry if it was changed??

It's a bit like the "like" feature on Facebook - although that can be quite misleading.. someone can put a sad status on their wall and you will click "like" because you are feeling for that person and NOT because you "like" the fact they are sad LOL.

So maybe with the integration of FB on this site, something similar...

So yes, it gets my vote - always nice to be appreciated.

CB

Edited: 31 October 2010, 07:14
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: "Thanks" button in forum posts

I was just thinking it might be a good idea to hide the total "thanks" a member has gotten bout only to show the count for each post.

Just to keep it from being more of a popularity thing and to let each post stand on it's own merits and not on the popularity or longevity of its author.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
3. Re: "Thanks" button in forum posts

Oh right, sorry, i got confused (not long opened my eyes for the day lol)

Sure, so a counter on the actual individual post which is in effect providing that member with the thanks for that particular information provided but won't show the total amount of thanks any given member has received from other posts.

Yup, think that's a cracking idea..

Cmon TA - have you not done it yet???? ;-)

CB

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: "Thanks" button in forum posts

I can't really see the value in something like this.

It would just end up another annoying competition on how many "thanks" one can accumulate.

Or just something to discourage those helpful posters that don't get a "thanks".

Maybe we could include a "thanks for nothing" button as well?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: "Thanks" button in forum posts

Hi PDXNoah,

At first glance (thought) this would be a good feature... but after more thought, I don't think so.

1- It would indeed promote a "competition" (and we don't need that)

2- It would cause discouragement for those who don't get thanked to say throw in the towel saying... "To Heck with it... I'm outta here" (as opposed to now... if it happens then it is a nice gesture, and a BONUS to hear back from a Traveller... make it a clickable button and it becomes waaaaay too expected).

3- And although the Thank You posts do constitute a bit of unnecessary chit-chat sometimes they do serve a purpose. I know you got my info... and read it... and you appreciate the effort I put into compiling it for you... and it also tends to "bump" the topic up the list again... meaning that more Newbies to the FORUM get a chance to read it... and sometimes (just sometimes) it answers a Question they were about to ask.

So on this issue I am all in favour of the status quo.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 03 November 2010, 00:15
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: "Thanks" button in forum posts

It is a feature on another forum that I am on - here are a few observations:

No one seems to see it as a competition.

I've never seen any one ask why did you Thank him and not me or that sort of thing. In the forum culture is it not expected for you to be thanked. It very much comes as a bonus. It is not used in the "thanks for sharing" manner, but is typically used for going above & beyond expectations. I'm going to guess and say that maybe 5-10% of the posts get Thanks.

What I really like is I recognize a couple of the regular names - if they thank something then I know I can trust the information in that post.

I think it could work here - a lot depends on the culture of the specific forum and how they few it. If you get a hand full of hotshots in one forum who are highly competitive, then there may be an issue. I think it will be a non-issue in most forums.

7. Re: "Thanks" button in forum posts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 06:51