We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Editing a post

Norfolk
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Editing a post

Once a post is edited i can:

Remove it

Leave it

My hotel made a great professional response to my complaints but - I cannot post this for 3 months. That is grossly unfair to them

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,503 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Editing a post

Hi sniktar;

Since your are familiar with the situation, I'm sure your comments are quite clear to you.

However, for those of us reading along, can you please explain what your concern / comment is, in complete sentences.

Best Regards

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Editing a post

I think I understand what sniktar means -

He posted a review which accurately reflected some of the issues he had with a property. After the review was posted, the company addressed his concerns and he would like to revise his review to reflect the professional manner in which they dealt with the situation.

TA won't let him write a new review for at least 3 months which he feels is unfair to the hotel since his negative comments are no longer valid.

Having said that, I went and read the review in question, and personally I would not revise it. It appears to be a fair and accurate description of your particular experience on that particular occasion. You go out of your way to explain clearly what you objected to, and it seems perfectly reasonable.

Someone else will have to confirm that this will work and that it meets TA's guidelines, but I think one way to edit your post would be to

1) highlight and copy the text

2) delete your current review

3) make anew review

4) paste your text from the old one. You can then at the bottom of it put something like Update: Hotel did blah blah blah... That way you have your update , yet the original review is still there just in case this turns otu to be the start of something habitual for the hotel.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Editing a post

Thanks for the questions, understanding and advice.

I only wished to edit my posting as the hotel has been in touch and I feel that an acknowledgement should be made of that outcome.

It does not alter my review, but the response was positive and good action was/is being taken - TA should allow an update under these circumstances.

I am worried that if I remove my review, I will still be subject to the 3 month rule!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Editing a post

People have been removing reviews in order to revise them and resubmitting them for a long time - I haven't heard of any problems with that.

Plus - the hotel can post a response showing what they did in the situation you posted about. It seems if their online reputation is important to them - they would have done that.

Personally as a reader - I would much rather see a problems that were brought up in a review addressed by the management, rather than the author trying to do the PR job for the hotel - it makes it look, to me, that the author may be being paid off to change a negative perception of the business.

Edited: 05 November 2010, 18:12
Norfolk
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Editing a post

Hi Rescue Team,

Not sure exactly what you are saying but -

I wrote a balanced,honest review.

There had been a problem and I mentioned this

However, since I wrote the review - the hotel Deputy GM has made 100% effort to correct the issue, take action to ensure it is not repeated, and offered compensation.

I feel I should be able to edit myreview - as on other sites - to congratulate a GM who took notice, acted and corrected short comings.

To me, that is real service - something went wrong, hotel acknowledged that and put actions in to place to ensire it never happened again. It apologised - a BIG thing these days. It compensated us immediately.

If only others did the same

SO - I want to edit my review by adding a post script!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,503 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Editing a post

Hi sniktar;

Thanks for clarifying your comments.

I have always viewed a traveller’s review as a snap-shot of the property on the day the user / member was there.

Now, many days / weeks later, when the owner or manager has agreed to your demands and refunded a portion or all of your money, you want to change the truthful comments to *more* truthful comments

Somehow, you feel that it would make the reviews *more* legitimate ? A system like that would be ripe for abuse, open to manipulation, and would make the reviews on TA useless.

Best Regards

Edited: 05 November 2010, 18:14
Norfolk
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Editing a post

I accept that point!

Thanks

Edited: 05 November 2010, 18:20
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,503 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Editing a post

You're Welcome !

Best Regards

Norfolk
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Editing a post

That is a good point but - it still does not allow a post script to say - as in this case - an immediate response and apology were received.

How rare is that?

A 2nd comment would overcome that issue - still leav8ing the review as it was originally.

It is important that an original post should stand. That is how it was on the day.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Editing a post

I think the point that Noah made is exactly what should happen.

It's down to the management to make a reply stating that they accept your comments and have taken action to rectify any issues.

They can go into as much detail as they see fit to explain what has been done and what the present situation is.

Otherwise, and I'm not suggesting that this is the case here, but it could been seen that you have accepted a bribe to remove your comments about poor performance / service.

David