We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Web addresses for attractions

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Web addresses for attractions

Many attractions lack website links.

How do we get TA to add a website link for an attraction? Shouldn't individuals be able to provide a suggested link when submitting a travel article? TA could review any new/reported changes to make certain that they are accurate.

IMO, it would be great if the travel article page had an input box for the website link. TA could display the current website, if any, and provide the input box for a suggested new/changed website link.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Web addresses for attractions

Here is the Help Centre page that explains how to submit additional information and corrections for an attraction:

tripadvisor.ca/help/how_to_alert_us_when_a_l…

I agree, it would be nice if there was a link to make corrections or additions on the attractions listings. There is such a link on the restaurant listings.

Edited: 07 November 2010, 16:49
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Web addresses for attractions

My point is that it would be great if every attraction, etc., had its website provided. Reviewers should be able to provide websites, subject to TA review.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,277 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Web addresses for attractions

I have grappled with this problem too. The "attractions" depend on people nominating them to TA. If a website is included in the original nomination, it finds its way into the listing. If not, I think the only option is to do as CW says.

The attraction front page can't be editted after the event of its first listing. However, you can write a Traveller Article page for any attraction and add the weblink to that page. Second best, I know, but better than nothing.

To write the Traveller Article, follow the "Share what you know" link on the attraction's page.

Luigi

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Web addresses for attractions

Personally, I hate to see the Traveler Articles filled up with nothing but digital 'brochures' put purely there for the business' interests. I think it really reduces the value of the whole Traveler Article area....and makes it hit and miss if anyone finds the attraction they are looking for.

IMHO - business listings should be in one place...in the listings only. If the listing needs a website address, it can be achieved, and I agree the processes isn't perfect. But it makes no sense to make the whole situation worse by squirreling away business listings in the Traveler Articles.

IMHO

Noah

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Web addresses for attractions

Are you talking about "reviews" or "Traveler Articles", TEye?

The latter does allow a link to the website, as you put in the one you wrote.

I hate to see Traveler Articles that are simply thinly disguised ads - and I've seen a lot of them . . .

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,277 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Web addresses for attractions

Noah, I appreciate that Traveller Articles are not your area of expertise, but if you check it out, every Things To Do listing has its own unique Traveller Article just sitting waiting to be fleshed out. It seems to me to be a fair place to put a link, if,...if!!,.... if!!!!! it has been inadvertently omitted from the header page.

Luigi

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Web addresses for attractions

Yes, I put the web address in the one traveler article that I wrote because the website wasn't included in the listing and I think many websites provide much information about the place being rated. Notice, however, that the web address that I provided isn't "live" and somebody would have to copy and paste it. Perhaps I did something wrong.

I just think TA would improve greatly if each listing had the website home page for the place being rated, if the business had a home page. Putting the website in a traveler article is a poor substitute, which is why I raised the issue.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Web addresses for attractions

TranscendentalEye, I stripped off the http:// and the last / from the address in the Traveler Article you mentioned and it now seems to link correctly.

And please see my response #1 on this thread for info on how to inform TA staff of a missing website, to be added to the listing itself, as you suggested in #2 ("Reviewers should be able to provide websites, subject to TA review").

Edited: 10 November 2010, 05:02
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Web addresses for attractions

Country_Wife, thank you for your observations.

I haven't had a great experiencing e-mailing TA requesting corrections, etc.

Sometimes the results are bizarre. Read the "Traveler Description" of Holden Arboretum in Kirtland, Ohio.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g50517-d18…

Earlier this year, I sent an e-mail to get Holden listed as an attraction, and whoever processed it, simply copied my e-mail without isolating the description of Holden Arboretum! Someday, I'll work at correcting it! However, it was good to get Holden listed.

What I would like to see is that for every restaurant, hotel, attraction, etc., the input form for reviews and traveler articles would contain a box saying if the traveler believes the website is wrong or missing, to enter the web address in the box and submit it. From there it would be a simple matter for TA to investigate the submitted web address and to update the property description if necessary.

Input boxes also could be provided for addresses, phone numbers, contact e-mail addresses, etc.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Web addresses for attractions

Actually, Traveler Articles for attractions overwrite any existing description. Call it a bug, or - in this case - a feature. I have created a Traveler Article for the arboretum that edits out the most obviously inappropriate text; feel free to edit it further.

And I agree, there should be some kind of link on the attraction listings for correcting and updating all the information. There already is such a link on the restaurant listings. See this thread for further discussion of the link on the restaurant listings:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k4029568-…