We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The website itself---too much advertising

portland, oregon
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The website itself---too much advertising

I am a big fan of trip advisor, I always come here first when I'm planning the next big adventure BUT it has gotten so busy with advertisements it's hard to enjoy....things pop up constantly, it makes my computer run slow...sometimes I have my mouse accidently hovering over an area and bam another window advertisement...etc. etc. ...it's almost like it offers too much help and in doing so makes reading reviews a nightmare

Too bad :(

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,589 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The website itself---too much advertising

At this moment - while I'm answering you - there are huge white spaces covering most of the page. I think that they have potential to hold additional advertising.

Watch this space.

Luigi

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The website itself---too much advertising

It sounds as if you have a computer problem. I never see any pop-ups.

(Unless I click on one of the ads, of course.)

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The website itself---too much advertising

Agree with HB, i never see any pop ups - ever! I use Google Chrome and with no special plug ins etc.. just installed as per normal.

I have an average speed / spec laptop and my browsing this site is pop up hassle free.

CB

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The website itself---too much advertising

I get pop-unders a lot - not every time but at least 1 in 10 visits. A window opens under my browser with some travel offer that is TA branded. They are annoying. I chalk it up to the cost of a free service like TA.

Some has to pay for the staff, bandwidth, etc. If It's not me, and not the hotels, etc then it has to be ads. I hate them, but they are a necessary evil. Just to do my part I will click through on one every so often.

5. Re: The website itself---too much advertising

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2011, 06:16