We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unit conversion

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
446 reviews
Save Topic
Unit conversion

In the US we use English units (feet, miles, degrees F, etc) while much of the rest of the world uses the metric system (meters, kilometers, degrees, etc). When repsonding to a post from someone from outside the US, I try to list both sets of units, just to make the post make sense to everyone. To do this, I just open up another browser window with a unit conversion site and get the numbers I need. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a simple set of unit conversions on the forum reply page so that we would not have to flip back and forth. This might also encourage folks to include both sets of units in their replies.

The units that I usually have to convert are feet to meters (elevation), miles to kilometers (distance) and degrees F to degrees C. Of course, we would need to convert in both directions (English to metric and metric to English).

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Unit conversion

Hi there

With respect, why don't you just post in the unit that you know and let the OP do the converting?

I know we are here to provide advice and travel solutions, but it does get to a point where we are almost packing their suitcases LOL.

CB

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unit conversion

When I am telling someone about the local area, I feel almost like a host inviting a guest - i think it is more welcoming to give them information they can use. I do the temperature conversion all the time - less so the distance. I tend to use "time in car" for distance, since that is the measurement that makes the most sense to me.

I think it would be nice to have something to do the conversions handy, but I can take an extra step or two just fine.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unit conversion

OK, fair enough, but I do like to provide as complete an answer as possible, and having both sets of units is makes the information more univerisal so that others can use it more readily.

Also, when OP posts in metric, I often have to convert to English in order to better understand the question. So, the conversions would be useful even if we aren't "almost packing their suitcases." ;-)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,103 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unit conversion

I agree, a small unit conversion tool onsite could be helpful. Canadian temperatures are in degrees centigrade, and when I'm talking about the weather with someone from the US, I try to include the equivalent in Fahrenheit. It would be nice to have a quick tool to convert the measurements that travellers use most, without leaving TA.

mile <-> km

°F <-> °C

lb <-> kg (for luggage)

ft <-> m

gal <-> liter (for fuel, and maybe beverages?)

price per gallon <-> price per liter (using same currency for both)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,732 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unit conversion

I too post in both systems and yes, open another tab to find my favorite conversion website. I can do the temps in my head ;-)

I think it could be helpful if there were a non-intrusive chart somewhere on the page, maybe in a pop-up form?

After all, TA felt that the new "recently viewed" box was necessary for us..... LOL.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,844 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unit conversion

I usually post in the "local" units because this is what the visitor will have to use once here. I do like the idea of having a pop up for conversion between metric and imperial measures - very helpful to have it right on TA. My computer however, and I would assume all others would have something similar, has a widget for conversion in 11 categories. So either way, it's easy to figure it out.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unit conversion

i am with cheekybadger. why do we have to treat everyone as mental midgets. surely people can do their own conversions if they want to.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unit conversion

You're right, they could. And having a handly little units converter embedded on the TA page would make that easier for all, I reckon.

9. Re: Unit conversion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2011, 05:18