We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

california
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

I have read the disclaimer about fake reviews and as a traveler who can easily spot them and who has had a terrible trip because of one I would like to know how to have a report of a fake review taken seriously.

This is not particular to us, but we happen to be in a dispute with a property over their lies and yet between my pending review and a previous honest real review there are two so fake reviews that they even name the temporary employee with whom we had issues and say how great Employee Z is...!

TA--please do a better job of listening to members who call out fakes and please do a better job of verifying the posts from one time only posters-- maybe institute a number of contributions prior to posting a review that would eliminate these patently false 1 or 2 contribution only glowing short fake reviews.

People are trusting you and losing money on their trips when dishonest merchants continue to do this!

Thank you!

Edited: 07 December 2010, 02:05
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

Hi there

This topic does the rounds every so often and until nobody comes up with a viable solution then the situation will remain the same.

As the topic is repetitive in it's form so is my standard response to it.

I believe that until a solution is found (nobody has come up with one yet) then the best way forward is to advise readers what to look out for.

Don't just read some of the review or take note of all the positive etc etc...read ALL of them (where possible) and then post on the forums for back up clarification.. only then can one really be in a position to make an informed decision on their trip/meal out etc..

To base decisions solely on the reviews is very risky - the same way you wouldn't by a TV from just the reviews, you would visit TV/AV Forums for advice etc...this site is no different.

Also, as said before, the number of contributions is irrelevant simply because there are many people who may travel alot but just feel that this once they wanted to submit a review for whatever reason - it doesn't mean and shouldn't mean that any less credibility should be given to that review.

As i say, it's a near impossible task, especially due to the sheer numbers of reviews they receive (i did read the figures the other day and even my gob was smacked) - so all we can do is report those we do feel are fake (by using the appropriate methods) and keep on top of TA in the hope they will do the same with the guilty :D

CB ",)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,485 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

Would you like to give us some examples of the reviews you see as being so0 easily to spot as false reviews - what proof do you have???

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

I wonder how someone is taken in by one and yet knows how to easily spot them?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

I think most agree that false reviews are not welcome on TA. However I don't believe it is as easy as it sounds to spot them. Since my review is based on my experience at a specific time & place, your review of the same time & place would be based on your experience - which can be a very different thing. Too often people claim any reviews with a different opinion as fake or misleading. (Note: I am *not* saying this applies to you)

You mention specifically a review that praised the very person you had issues with. To me that just says that each reviewer had a different experience. I could give you a dozen example of how this happens all the time.

I wish everyone would write more detailed reviews with minimal opinion and lots of concrete and specific facts. One of my favorites included pictures of the conditions they found lacking - that let me see for myself and make my own decision. I know that many people simply don't care that much. I am grateful if they took the time to write anything. I see the reviews as one piece of information to help me make a decision...any information is better than no information.

As Cheekybadger pointed out: get information from other sources too. I like the forums...people who hang out there typically do care about your travel experience and try to help you find things that will be to your tastes and interests.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

> I wonder how someone is taken in by one and yet knows how to easily spot them?

Good point :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

Good post, Setati :-)

California bay area
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

TA should implement a feature where you can flag a review as suspicious. And there can be a counter that shows how many users have flagged the review as suspicious. That would alert other users, and TA administrators can look at the most highly flagged reviews.

Also, if you click on the #, it should show you which users have flagged it (so you can see if they are legitimate or not).

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,485 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

The functionality to report a review as suspicious already exists - see link after each review

I do not agree with the counter as it could be abused. If people's suspicions are right the review will quickly disappear anyway but very often is just the your opinion differs from theirs

I am not saying false reviews do not exits - I am just saying they are not as common as seem people seem to think

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

'I am just saying they are not as common as seem people seem to think"

"what proof do you have???"

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,485 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very Obvious Fake Reviews--Does Anyone at TA Care?

I could reverse the question and say what proof do you have that it is widespread

I have seen several posts on forums where people have said X review must be a fake only to find that:

The reviewer came back with information to prove they were at the resort

Another review back up what was said

The management of the resort replied back to the review in a management response