We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay Area Forum Structure Suggestion

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bay Area Forum Structure Suggestion

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to this scene, but I think it would be helpful to have an "East Bay" forum category that includes, Berkeley, Oakland, Emeryville, Alameda, Albany, El Cerrito, Richmond,etc., along the lines of how the Marin County forum includes the separate communities within it.

To take it a step further, how about a "Bay Area" forum including SF, East Bay, Marin and Napa/Sonoma? This seems more efficient for interested parties, considering the interconnectedness of these communities and the desire of many travellers to move between them.

Just a thought, TW.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay Area Forum Structure Suggestion

I would like to lend my support to tdubb's suggestion. Although I am a DE for Berkeley, I'm really a DE for the entire East Bay region. Unfortunately, though, it is extremely difficult for me to check each independent forum--Alameda, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland, etc.--and almost never check any of them except Oakland and Berkeley. There's a good chance, for example, that something posted to the Richmond forum would go completely unnoticed by me.

I still question the need for each town to have its own forum, but if my memory serves me correctly this is a decision TA has made and is sticking with. At least an East Bay umbrella forum would help us all keep tabs on threads that occasionally appear in smaller places. Similarly, a Bay Area forum would accomplish the same trick on a broader scale (such as for the Peninsula and South Bay regions). Currently only Marin County has an umbrella forum.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay Area Forum Structure Suggestion

Sorry but I disagree. There is not enough activity in the East Bay to warrant a separate section. And how Marin County got one I don't know as it's not warranted there either.

It's easy enough to wander through the California forum OR bookmark the Oakland and Berkeley forums. Other than that, none of the East Bay towns get any posts. For example, the last posting in the Richmond forum was 2007. I don't think davdaven has any worry about missing a posting there.

Subsectioning works for Monterey Peninsula, Napa Valley and Sonoma County because there are a lot of posts there. For areas which are pretty dead, it doesn't make any sense.

I'm about to ask TA to "unhook" my destination from the "California Desert" subsection because I just don't find that definition worthwhile.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay Area Forum Structure Suggestion

As another Berkeleyan, I want to weigh in with tdubb and davdaven. The whole East Bay functions as a single unit, and people who are visiting Oakland often have destinations in Berkeley and vice versa. Some people even manage to visit San Francisco and Berkeley, lending credence to the idea of a Bay Area forum. With tiered forums, people could get information on areas they want, and the San Francisco board wouldn't wind up with a bunch of East Bay queries.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay Area Forum Structure Suggestion

A quck check of East Bay activity shows 2010 threads:

Berkeley: 15

Oakland: 56

Emeryville: 1

Walnut Creek: 3

Pleasanton: 3

Livermore: 1

Alameda: 0

Neither Moraga nor Orinda are even listed.

I picked these East Bay towns to check because they have an interest to visitors: either colleges, airports, professional sports teams, transit hubs, wineries or business centers.

Certainly there are questions about these areas, but they end up on the SF board. I don't see how having this extra tier will help people post on the appropriate forum. And if I was asking about Emeryville (for example) and I saw only 3 postings *ever* ... I'd probably post on the SF board as well.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bay Area Forum Structure Suggestion

I guess it's a matter of whether Tripadvisor wants the San Francisco forum to function as the regional forum. Because there certainly are questions that relate partially or wholly to the East Bay on the San Francisco board. If it's supposed to be a regional board, then it should be called something like San Francisco and the Bay Area, with a note that questions for Oakland, Berkeley, Marin, San Jose etc. should be posted there. Those forums can be eliminated.

If that's not the plan then there should be a logical East Bay structure. Mend it or end it.

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
6. Re: Bay Area Forum Structure Suggestion

Hi all,

We list places that are recognized as official locations (by either a local governmental or tourism source) and have official boundaries. When we add a location, our listings editors need to be able to contact an official to see what city/town/village locations should be included or not included in it.

Like Napa Valley:

http://www.napavalley.org/

If this is the case for a city or region someone wants to recommend, you can send a request with the name of the location and some clarifying information about how it is recognized as an official place (by government or tourist board), and include a website of that official whenever possible.

You can use this form from the Help Center to make that request to our listings team:

www.tripadvisor.com/ContactUs…

Thanks!

TA_Jeanine

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bay Area Forum Structure Suggestion

Thanks TA_Jeanine ... good info.

Hate to beat the dead horse but to wanderer's comment: "I guess it's a matter of whether Tripadvisor wants the San Francisco forum to function as the regional forum..."

That's not the point ... the FACT is that people will post where they think their post will get noticed and responded to. And they will post where their geographical knowledge gets them closest to.

Whether there was an "East Bay" forum or not makes no difference if no one uses it. Just as they rarely use the Oakland forum now.

And based on the info from TA_Jeanine, unless there is a desire to create an "Alameda County" forum to group certain East Bay town into (leaving out Contra Costa), I suppose this doesn't meet the TA criteria.

8. Re: Bay Area Forum Structure Suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 05:17