We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Reply Format?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,694 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
New Reply Format?

I was on one forum and noticed a new Reply format at the bottom of the thread, but when I blinked (!) .... I opened the same thread a second time and it wasn't there. Now, on another forum, a new format is there. Is this going to be the new way to reply? It's great. I hope it shows when opening the link.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155032-i51-k43205…

Edit: no it's gone, but the new format is below this thread once this new post returns me to the HUMTAB page. Say wha'?

Edited: 28 March 2011, 21:24
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Reply Format?

TA has many different servers, which server you get when you click on a page is random. When the roll out a change like this - they roll it out over the course of the day to the various servers, so that sometimes you will get the old page and sometimes you will get the new page. Hopefully you'll always be getting the new page by the end of the day, every time.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Reply Format?

ARGHH. WHY the new format? Only the last few lines of the final post are visible...we have to scroll madly back and forth to refer to anything said before that. And we can't refer to previous pages' posts at all.

So we have to have 2 windows open at the same time? Did someone actually think this would be an "improvement"???

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,694 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Reply Format?

This is really nifty. A Monday surprise from TA. (But glad it will not be rolled out this Friday!!)

MM ~ I can see everything on the final post ( e.g. all yours in #2 is there, complete with Report inappropriate content, Reply button and Save this Post) and I tried shifting back to the previous page (e.g. to check out posts 1-10.) Came back to the last page and found my reply box still intact. Previously, the reply text would vanish if I tried to do that. (Soon learned to prepare first in a Word doc)

So far, this works perfectly from my computer on the times it shows up, which isn't all the time yet. However, it may take a couple of days to settle down.

Noah ~ thanks. It is happening more consistently on my home forum now.

BTW, it may also help newbies from replying to individual posters through the reply button in each box.

Edited: 28 March 2011, 22:12
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,586 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Reply Format?

"BTW, it may also help newbies from replying to individual posters through the reply button in each box."

That's what I thought too, but I think the REPLY button needs to be taken away altogether for that to happen, and for the reply box to be the only means of reply

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,487 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Reply Format?

If this is a new roll out I would wish the default for "get notified by e_mail when a reply is posted" to be blank and then people can opt in if they want a reply as I would think that most regular user never use it

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,318 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Reply Format?

ITA with that. Don't want to have to remember to uncheck the box, nor do I want a zillion emails spamming my inbox.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Reply Format?

At first I thought that this was nifty... but I must admit that after a few moments thought, I dislike it with growing intensity. I miss the rapid access to the posts from multiple pages as I respond, and the crumbs are now far below the read area of the thread. And having to uncheck the follow the thread box is more than annoying. It should default to off, not on.

Nope. I don't like it.

Edited: 28 March 2011, 22:23
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,318 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Reply Format?

Just as I thought. My mailbox is filled with TA notifications. Please get rid of this annoying default for every single post >:

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,487 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Reply Format?

No it needs to be fixed as the replies you type get deleted out if you go forward or back in the page of posts as many will when replying to multiple questions on longer threads

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,761 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Reply Format?

I agree. I don't want to be notified by email of replies to all my posts! Or to have to uncheck the box for every reply. Please, get rick of the tick in the Get Notified box.

Silvia

Get answers to your questions