We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

Valby, Denmark
Level Contributor
26 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

Recently many reviews and opinions which were critical of Copenhagen as a vacation spot were removed from the Copenhagen forums. The opinions expressed were nowhere near inflammatory or insulting, but merely reflected 2 vistors' experiences during their recent stay.

The reviews pointed out inconsiderate smokers, unfriendly attitudes of locals and high prices, all of which can be problematic for any visitor to Denmark.

I strongly object to these actions and would hesitate in the future from contributing any reviews if only the glowing and positive accounts are left.

Who is responsible for the Copenhagen forum? I would like to address them directly.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

Some of the posts were determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community, i.e. a sufficient number of members hit " Report inappropriate content" and some of the posts were removed because the poster used multiple screen names IIRC.

You can contact forum support team directly via this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/is_there_anyone_i_can…

Edited: 03 May 2011, 10:59
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,503 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

Hi MissJibba;

"Who is responsible for the Copenhagen forum? I would like to address them directly."

TripAdvisor does NOT offer one-on-one telephone or email support. You can email TA staff with your concerns using the link that my esteemed colleague Hans_DEN posted in his reply above. TA staff will email a reply to you within 48 hours.

"...in the future from contributing any reviews..."

The forums are not for reviews.

tripadvisor.com/help/what_the_forums_are_not

Best Regards

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

As pointed out in the two responses above - TripAdvisor staff does not read and "censor" forums.

Any TA member can report any post as being "inappropriate" by clicking on the blue "Report inappropriate post" link at the bottom of each and every forum post.

When a certain number of members click that link on a forum post, that post is automatically removed. TA staff can then determine if the post should remain removed or be reinstated.

I assume you are mixing up the terms "reviews" and "forum posts" -- reviews are in a separate area of TA, however, they too can be reported as "inappropriate" by TA members.

All reviews must meet TA guidelines before being posted.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

According to your profile missjibba you haven't posted anything on any forum since 2010. Do you have multiple screen names?

Valby, Denmark
Level Contributor
26 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

No. I was reporting censorship of another user's post. I do keep up with the forum and reviews, but I no longer post due to the outright hostility by native Danes when anything critical is added to a thread.

The post removed was not inflammatory or abusive in any way, but provided another tourist's experience of Copenhagen. It just puzzles me, because negative hotel reviews, for instance, are often rated helpful by other users and are quite valuable to anyone planning a trip.

Seems odd, then, that the same policy isn't in place for forum posts. Should I suggest to the OP that she re-post her experiences in the form of a review instead?

Edited: 04 May 2011, 14:49
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

IIRC the original post in that thread was removed by TA because the poster used multiple screen names. That is against TA guidelines.

That is not censorship.

Did you contact TA as I suggested in post # 1?

Valby, Denmark
Level Contributor
26 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

I did. What's the proof she used multiple screen names?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

IIRC that was the placeholder that TA put up instead of the removed post.

TA will NOT discuss decisions made by TA editors and moderators in ANY forum. It's against the guidelines.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

MissJibba, TripAdvisor is able to determine whether a person is using more than one account. I think they use your IP address and probably the cookies stored in your computer to do that. As Hans_DEN says, the "placekeeper" now on the threads says that TripAdvisor removed the post for that reason.

Luigi

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unfair policy of censorship in Copenhagen forums

so how do they differentiate between multiple screen names and say a family of four, all TA members, using the same computer.

and for what it's worth i think IP addresses can vary. i contribute to some forums where they give u your current IP address as a reminder that you can be 'traced'. for interest's sake i have shut down and rebooted and this has changed the IP number.