We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

Houston
Level Contributor
355 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

I just noticed on some propertys on some reviews there is a helpful blue ribbon. The blue ribbons say helpful X number of times, altlhough X is always a much larger number than the header at the top of the review that says "Y number of people have found this helpful" That blue ribbon does not appear on all reviews for the same property. Maybe this was a failed experiment of trip advisor?

Newton...
3 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
1. Re: Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

Hi Captainmcd

The # of helpful votes that you see under your photo (and the # of reviews) is how many helpful votes your reviews have gotten overall.

Separately (in the review) we point out how many times a review itself have been voted helpful.

-Adam M

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

Thanks Adam!

captainmdc, here is a Help Center page describing our new Helpful Vote badges:

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_helpful_vote_b…

Cheers,

TA_Jeanine

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

If the review has not yet been voted Helpful there is no indication in the review so it appears as if the ribbon count is the helpful count for that review.

It might be less confusing if the review contained the line

'This review has not yet received a Helpful vote'

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

So....is it allowed to solicit "helpful" votes now?

Instead of people advertising their blog in their posts - can they now say something "Oh..vote me helpful!"

What if someone offers a bribe or payment to get people to vote their reviews as helpful?

What if groups of members form a pact to each exchange 'helpful' votes on their reviews?

Will helpful votes become the new prison currency, like cigarettes?

So please vote for my reviews as most of them are for a smaller city and don't get as many views!

Belgium
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

It would not only be more meaningful if it was not possible to self-vote*** , but the facility to self-vote merely makes profiles like mine, with it's numerous 1 helpful "votes", like it is the profile of a rather sad git.

***(I haven't tested this myself, but it has been alleged that one can vote for oneself)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,400 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

I can see that this new system will not go down well with people who have lots of reviews and very few Helpful votes

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,580 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

The fact that you can self vote, and that there are ways of voting more than once, makes it meaningless

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,312 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

Hmm...

Award ribbons...where did I see that idea ?

9. Re: Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 August 2011, 19:26
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Now I see blue ribbons for helpful reviews.

Ok, just to play devil’s advocate. Annabelle, you have 37, or something like that, “helpful votes.” Did you register multiple accounts and vote several times for yourself? I doubt it. Ditto for ClipperdeeKlops, with a hefty 57 helpful votes and Lotuspath, who has 18 for just two reviews. I really doubt those votes were nefariously obtained by you due to self-voting just to boost that number up.

My own helpful votes came from the readers of my reviews and not from myself. I assume that you, like me, have better things to do than to register multiple accounts just to boost our votes. That would be a bit pathetic, wouldn’t it? So why do think that while ours are honestly gained, others’ will be the result of “cheating?” I just don’t get this total lack of faith in people, lol.

Yes, of course there’ll always be some who are so pathetic that their self-esteem comes from a ribbon or a star, but to believe that there will now be an onslaught of people doing everything in their power to get those stars and ribbons is a bit cynical IMO. Or maybe I’m just naïve, whatever, but I really don't think there'll be an epidemic of star, ribbon, and badge chasing by any sneaky means possible :p