We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

Urgup, Turkey
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

It seems a bit daft to refuse reviews from guests who write good or bad reviews from the hotel lobby computer, from the business centre or or from laptops provided in the hotel rooms.

TA claims that if the IP address comes from the hotel it could be a fake review from a hotel employee. But then again it is more than likely it is a guest in the lobby waiting for the taxi to arrive to go to the airport, knowing that when he is back home and back into work, holiday time seems to fade away and you never find the time to write the review.

I would have thought that it is getting really paranoid and if TA wants ot make money from businesses then it is counter-productive to take down bone fide guest reviews.

Anybody thoughts or ideas?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

Oh yes I have lots of thoughts around this.

IMO reviews should be written once a person gets home. That way they can review their whole experience from check in to getting into the taxi on their way home. They will be able to give a more balanced review once they are home and have time to reflect on their experience. Lots of people do find the time to write reviews once they get home, after all, how long does it take?

It is very likely that if TA allowed lots of reviews from hotel IP addresses that they could be written by unscrupulous managers or staff, and TA have no way of checking this. Far better to remove the doubt altogether.

And who is to say that even if reviews are written by bona fide guests that the staff aren't standing over their shoulder telling them what to write?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,919 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

If the person has strong feelings about their trip - good or bad they will find time to write a review when they get home

If they worried about the experience going stale they can always write a draft and "submit" it when they get back home

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

Kitty if you are concerned that you won't have time to write a review when you get home why don't you write the review as an email to yourself. Then when you get home you can just submit it.

I agree that there is no way to know whether numerous reviews submitted from a computer within the hotel are coming from random guests using the lobby internet or whether they are the employees or owners of the hotel trying to manipulate their ranking.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,405 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

I agree with the points already raised. A truly cautious reviewer would even wait until they have their credit card statement for the period of the hotel stay, to make sure that they were billed accurately.

But there is no reason why you can't make notes or even write a draft review on the hotel's computer, so that you have all the details fresh once you're back. As HarleyB pointed out, if you don't have your own device (laptop, smart phone, notepad computer, or a USB memory stick to use with a hotel computer), you can always email it to yourself from the hotel's computer.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 18:47
Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

I agree with all of the reasons given so far and would love to add the perspective of a lodging business owner who has steadfastly maintained the highest of ethics and advocated for preserving the integrity of Tripadvisor for many years.

The ONLY way for this entity to move forward and hold onto its intended objectivity and "honesty" is to take an even stronger approach to owner influence and involvement in the review process. Providing as level of a playing field for listed businesses as possible on this site should be a top priority as should be increasing user trust in the process and veracity of what users read.

I don't believe this can be accomplished or maintained with the ever increasing involvement and IMO intrusion into the review "procurement" co-optation that a growing number of listed businesses are engaging in.

Especially in a scenario where rankings and ratings are involved. Without strong safeguards against fraud, this rewards the most aggressive and least ethical out there while punishing the most ethical and least aggressive. I don't want to rely on a source of information for my travel planning where the top ranked might not necessarily be the best, but simply the best at accruing the most reviews.

The motives for this can only be described as not only suspect but highly self-serving. That broad change in the dynamic between traveler and owner flies in the face of creating as objective and honest entity as possible which has always been primarily intended for the use of travelers in order to serve fellow travelers.

Other owners can gripe all they want about fairness and relaxing certain rules, but I believe that travelers and owners alike are best served in the long run to have this entity be properly safeguarded against the temptations of greed and competitiveness.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 20:40
6. Re: Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 09:08
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

Hi there

I also agree with the points raised by the posters thus far.

TA have a hard enough job as it is trying to maintain the authenticity of their reviews, by removing this guideline would imo just create a massive backlash of opposition from both members and businesses alike, especially the latter that DO NOT have wifi or PC access in their establishment.

If it's not broken, don't fix it :)

Kevin.... Welcome to TA... you should create a new post for any enquiry that is not related to the Original Posters (OP's) query.

First port of call for you would be the Help Center (link at the bottom of every page)

Have a really good read of the sections, especially the FORUMS section and the posting guidelines, and also the OWNERS section which would interest you.

Hope that helps.

CB

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,919 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

little

You have already written one review yourself so all your guest just need to follow the same process you did

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,786 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

hi Little08,

is the hotel you want to review listed? What is it called?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Writing reviews from hotel lobby should be allowed

Agree with the posts above - there is no reason to allow reviews from hotel lobby computers . . . and many reasons not to allow it!

Kevin, you own a hotel? Then click on these links for information that should help you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k4608015…

http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/owners#c1