We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The System editor

Paris, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
The System editor

I have had a trip report rejected many times because the system editor decided it contained a profanity though there was none. After many rewrites, I found the system editor objected to the words " Wild Grass" which happened to be the name of the Resort I stayed in.- Wild Grass Lodge in Kaziranga. I guess it decided wild grass was marijuana!. In any case, I think the editor should highlight the word it does not like to save us reviewers a lot of wasted time.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The System editor

Hey there

This has been brought up many times before, and totally agree with you. What is the point in saying they are rejecting a review (not trip report) because of profanity when they don't highlight the offending words??

TA should sort this out really.

CB

Paris, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The System editor

If this system editor problem has been brought up many times before why hasn't anyone in Trip advisor done anything about it? I can't find a way to write directly to someone in TA and I thought the posting on the forum might get some action. But if it doesn't., I am certainly not going to waste my life trying to find why a dumb system editor doesn't like my text again and I will stop sending reviews.

3. Re: The System editor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 November 2011, 11:00
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The System editor

Well we shall see if someone from TA pops their head in here :)

This "is" the best place to post an enhancement request.

As to why they haven't done anything? who knows, maybe not up the top of their list of priorities??

CB

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
5. Re: The System editor

Hi raypillai,

Just letting you know that I have forwarded this issue to the editors for investigation -- this appears to me to be a glitch in the system. We have two listings on our site that include the words "Wild Grass", and multiple reviews under those listings include the words "Wild Grass", so I am perplexed as to why these words triggered the filters in your review submission.

As far as I know, we have not modified our content filters to interpret "grass" (whether or not it is preceded by "wild") as a reference to marijuana, and therefore reject that content -- our list of "offensive words" that trigger the content filters has always been identical for forum messages, reviews, Travel Articles and Private Messages, and our messages in this topic that contain the words "wild grass" are not triggering the content filters. The words marijuana, cannabis, weed, pot, chronic, dope, bud, 420, spliff, etc are not included in our context filters (nor are any other illegal drug terms, as far as I know, such as meth, crack, crank, heroin, etc).

We apologize for the issue, and I will submit again to the administrators the suggestion that we implement the same system of highlighting offensive text in review submissions as we use in forum messages and Travel Articles.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The System editor

Jane, if you had a "like" button i'd be clicking it right now :)

Excellent news.

CB

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
7. Re: The System editor

Hi again,

I just noticed that I misspelled a crucial word in my previous post:

"... are not included in our context filters " -- that should read "content filters", our filters do not interpret the "context" of the submitted content.

Our system is not set up to filter out comments about marijuana (under any slang names or references) or any other specific drugs. Reference to marijuana or other drugs is NOT considered offensive, in and of itself -- it is the context in which the words are used that will result in removal, when these published items are reported to us or discovered by a member of our Support Teams. We will remove forum posts or reject reviews AFTER they have been submitted in which the author has promoted or condoned illegal activities, such as purchase, sale, or use of illicit substances. Since laws on marijuana sales, possession, or use vary from nation to nation (or in the US, from state to state), we cannot and would not generate a blanket filter covering any references to marijuana.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Edited: 14 November 2011, 12:10
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The System editor

Reviews, unlike forum posts, are subject to human scrutiny prior to publication so should not need the same level of automated filtering as forum posts.

Apart from filtering for a few words whose usage is not acceptable in any context the majority of reviews should passed on the human scrutineers who can assess the entire content and context of the review.

In all cases a rejection should clearly indicate what the offending text is.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The System editor

Hi raypillai,

I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble with this. I just tested this on the review submission form and had no problem submitting text including Wild Grass, grass or wildgrass. The only thing I can think of is that possibly you inadvertently had a space in the word grass, after the "gr". I tried that, and I was blocked by the profanity filter. I apologize again for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Dan

Paris, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The System editor

Thanks to everyone for taking action on this because it is an important issue. When you have a long text and it is rejected by the system editor -and you don't know why- it is literally a needle in a haystack to find what the filter does not like. I removed many perfectly respectable words begining with f,c,d etc and changed Wild Grass to WG and it then worked. Dan- I did not think of gr xxx but I am 100% sure there was no space in Grass. Anyway it should not be a great programming fix to highlight whatever the filter thinks is offending and that would improve the TA system. So again thanks to everyone for their responses.