We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
36 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

I am happy to share my info on site s I have been. I look to TA for info when I am going to a location.

I did a review on a little unknown restaurant that was published then found a great link to add.

I wrote another review since it didn't allow we to add. I prevfaced the review by saying . This isn't a new review- just additional info on old review figuring that when they got to the pointwhere they reviewed it they would tell me how to go about modifying or whatever.

i am OK with the fact that i would have had to delete the old review and modify it, now that I know the procedure, but the time I took inot adding all of the new information is lost because it was deleted, with a screen saying I had just recently written a review on this restaurant.

Now I am taking this time out of mmy day to say:

I do think this site is valuable

we do need to be efficient on how we spend our time

Can't the site not waste the time of someone who is donating theirs by these silly autodeletes?

Info is not getting out to your readers and isn't that the point?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

If its not broken dont try to fix it works best.

You should have waited until next month " visited the business again" and posted and other review instead of trying to delete and repost.

You can post a review for a restraunt in a month after a review is posted.

For future reff questions such as this are best aasked on the support forum

Good Luck

Edited: 17 November 2011, 14:56
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
2. Re: Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

Hi mtnchkbek,

Thanks for your feedback on our review policies. I'm sorry, I know that it's frustrating to spend time composing a thoughtful review only to lose that information -- whether due to a glitch on the server, or due to our policies that limit how frequently an author can submit a new review on accommodations, attractions or restaurants for which they have a previously published review.

We do spell out these limitations in our guidelines for traveler reviews, a link to which is included within the Write a Review form:

tripadvisor.com/help/our_guidelines_for_trav…

***Unique and independent

You may write one review on any given accommodation, restaurant or attraction per visit. Members may submit subsequent reviews for additional visits as follows:

* Accommodations & Attractions: Review(s) for subsequent visit(s) may be submitted three months after the publication of your last review.

* Restaurants: Review(s) may be submitted for subsequent visit(s) one month after the publication of your last review.

Important note: If you'd like to update a review you wrote, please contact us. ***

The members who regularly post in the HUMTAB forum often recommend that all authors should compose their reviews (whether it is a new review, or an updated version of a recently published review)in a word processor, and save the document. You can then edit it as necessary, use a spell-checker, etc., before copying and pasting the final version into our forms. There are occasional glitches with the servers that will interfere with uploading of the form, and wipe out the text with no way to retrieve what you have written, so it's always best to protect yourself by storing the review on your hard drive first. Similarly, if you submit a review and it is rejected by our editors due to any violations of our review submission guidelines, having the text stored on your hard drive will make it easier to make the edits necessary in order to resubmit the review for proofing and publication.

Again, I sympathize with your frustration over the lost text, and hope that this issue will not prevent you from posting more reviews in the future.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
36 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

Thanks.

4. Re: Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 November 2011, 21:35
Edited: 17 November 2011, 21:35
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,542 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

Inflammatory?

I think that sanibel's reply was brief and definitely helpful. TA_Jane's reply was much more thorough, but we seldom see TA_staff posting such long replies here on the HUMTAB forum. It's wonderful that she was able to spend some of her work day assisting you with concerns about how to use TripAdvisor features. Her contributions to forums are always terrific.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
36 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

Sorry, don't agree.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
36 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

TA_Jane, I DO appreciate your reply. Did not want you to think that it was not appreciated. As for the others, they seem like people sitting on the blog ready to pounce on some unsuspecting TA user for having an opinion. Missing the point entirely.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

>>they seem like people sitting on the blog<<

First, this is not a "blog". TripAdvisor is a forum, specializing in travel, which is open to all members. All members have the right to express their opinions, as long as they follow the posting guidelines.

As a member who has submitted a fair number of reviews, I do not find TA's system particularly difficult or time consuming ;-)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,889 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

I don't want to buy into this argument, but I think that you may also strike problems adding a link to a review. The Review proforma often asks you for a link to a restaurant's website, but other links can be rejected. From the Guidelines: "Commercial e-mail addresses and contact information are not allowed in reviews, nor is promotional material of any kind. We reserve the right to reject any URL for any reason. "

Luigi

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
36 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decrease time wasted on efforts given for free!

Dear Luigi in Tasmania,

I thank you for your insights. They are actually very helpful and your tone is really appreciated. Maybe I should just do what I do best and enjoy my travels. Until I become expert on all of the rules I'll just stay out of the review process. :-)

Edited: 18 November 2011, 11:30