We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Removing closed restaurants?

Danville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
Removing closed restaurants?

Does tripadvisor verify closed restaurants. How long does it take to have these closed restaurants removed from tripadvisor. I have checked my home town (Danville, KY) for errors and closures and found several. I am doing this for we are having a rather large event (Vice-Presidentual Debate) here in October 2012 and I want all listings correct and up-to-date as possible.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,378 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Removing closed restaurants?

Hi Rod B,

You will need to alert TA staff that a restaurant or other business has been closed by using this link in the help center:

tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_alert_us_if_an_a…

There is a small blue hyper-link to the help center at the bottom of every page.

Regards,

Sodomojo

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,404 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Removing closed restaurants?

For restaurants, not hotels, you can open the resto review and just above the green bar graphs you will find in blue print "update business details." Choose "the restaurant is closed."

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,378 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Removing closed restaurants?

Thank you for the clarification, MuftiMixandmatch. The instructions for telling TA that a restaurant is closed are also included on the page of the link provided above.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,404 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Removing closed restaurants?

Oh oh, I've stepped on your toes, now! I didn't look at that link, just expected it to have the usual email us to "alert TA staff" because that wording in your reply pulled a fast one on my mind.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Removing closed restaurants?

Rod B, it usually takes several weeks for TA to remove closed restaurants. As far as I know, they do verify the restaurant is closed. You may have to notify them more than once, so make notes and if the restaurant listing does not disappear within a few weeks, notify TA again.

It is one of the areas that does need improving!

It's great that you care enough to try to ensure that the listings are correct :-)

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,378 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Removing closed restaurants?

I usually like to link to the help center 'instructions' page instead of directly to the e-mail form page. We both gave the same info just in a different form. I'm wearing my steel-toed boots today, so I didn't feel a thing!

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Removing closed restaurants?

I have found that it usually takes several months for restaurant to come off of the ratings after it's been reported as being closed. Sometimes it takes numerous reports for them to finally respond. I like the tripadvisor site for general information, but customer service they seemingly have no interest in.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,707 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Removing closed restaurants?

I have been lucky and upon occasion TA has removed closed businesses within days or weeks of when they were reported. But far too often, it does take more than a month and more than one report before they are removed.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Removing closed restaurants?

I feel so foolish. I clicked on "restaurant is closed" for a place near us. The address showed the closed location, but the photo showed another location. Some of the reviews were for yet another location all within 10 mile radius. Don't know if there's anything I can do. (hope this post makes sense)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,707 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Removing closed restaurants?

It makes all too much sense, I'm afraid. I've seen that in listings for my own destination. The only thing that you need to worry about, though, when reporting closed restaurants, is the name and address shown on the listing. Photos can be wrong, and reviewers can be confused, but the name and address shown on the listing are the main info that TA uses.

If you want to be public-spirited, you can report the reviews that are clearly posted to the wrong location. Just click on the "Report a problem with review" link below the review(s) in question. Select "Wrong location" and then supply the correct location, if you know it. If it's a very straightforward case (e.g the review said "We ate at Restaurant X" but the review is posted to Restaurant Y), TA staff will often transfer the review in 48 hours or less. If it's more complicated, TA staff may ask the reviewer to confirm where they actually were, and the reviewer has a couple of weeks (I think) to respond to TA's email inquiry.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 02:40