We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion re: new forum idea

Nanoose Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion re: new forum idea

A recent post I made on the Air Travel forum regarding complaints about 3rd party websites , (New Forum perhaps, TA?) garnered the suggestion I mention it here. The Air Travel forum is frequently the recipient of numerous complaints from people who have purchased tickets from different companies pushing cheap fares, (Vayama, Cheap-o tickets etc). These postings regularly receive dozens of replies, which indicates a high interest, but also tend to move the subject matter away from direct airline related queries.

Has TA considered a forum for people who have issues with such 3rd party companies, travel agents etc, which deal not only with air ticket issues but hotels, packages etc. marketed by this type of online marketer.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion re: new forum idea

I tend to agree that there would be a great demand for a general forum on which to post complaints.

However, TripAdvisor is a commercial website and it's difficult to see where the financial incentive would be in hosting a complaints forum.

Also, while publishing a complaint makes the complainer feel much better, complaints are probably best referred to the problem company or the relevant corporate regulator in the first instance.

Just my thoughts. :)

Luigi

Edited: 06 January 2012, 03:11
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,154 posts
5,408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion re: new forum idea

About half the posts that come to the Bargain Forum are 3rd party and travel service provider related questions (and complaints)...

Might just want to direct folks in that direction.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion re: new forum idea

@BradJill. Thanks for pointing that out as it's good to know.

L4

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion re: new forum idea

I agree with all the above and as a frequent reader (and DE) for Solo Travel and Bargain Travel - this is a daily occurence.

My only issue is that these rants are often posted by 1st time, single post, posters - and they do not understand the rules, protocols, or how to receive our advice - or how to best use the forums. So, I suspect that even if such a "Complaint Board" were created, the rants will continue to be posted obliviously with no regard. To me, somehow TripAdvisor needs to step up to the plate and help with verifying and ensuring that posts are placed in the right spot, and confirmed to be real. This is a much larger issue, however.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion re: new forum idea

Until there is some sort of competency test before people are able to book tours/tickets/hotels/etc online, I agree that rants/complaints will simply be posted wherever the poster first finds most agreeable to them. If they don't discover that booking with a problem 3rd party booking site is a bad idea until they've given them their money, what are the odds that they will seek out the most appropriate forum to type in their complaint/rant. Slim to none I would think.

ktown

6. Re: Suggestion re: new forum idea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2013, 10:23