We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy way to copy an entire thread?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
Save Topic
Easy way to copy an entire thread?

Is there any way to easily copy a whole thread (that could be many pages long) that you want to copy (to a Word document)? I have bookmarked a lot of threads but there are times when someone writes a great trip report (that's very long and divided into many posts) and I just want to copy and print it out and read at my leisure. Or there are other threads with great info that I want to put in my notes and it would be easier to copy everything and sift through it rather than spend a lot of time to copy and paste from each post.

So - if copying an entire thread is not possible now, is that something that y'all think might be a good idea to be able to do?

And if it is possible to do now, could someone please explain how? Thanks.

Essex
Level Contributor
30,093 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy way to copy an entire thread?

You can do it already, in a way, just save it to your 'saved trips'.

Under the reply button in your header post you will see in little blue writing' Save this Post. If you click on that, you can save it to your TA saved posts and go back to visit the thread at your leisure.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,765 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy way to copy an entire thread?

Some web browsers allow you to save/download web pages onto your pc for off line viewing at a later time. I think you would need to save each page of the thread, so this may not be the best option for you.

I use Firefox and find that this works best for things like recipes, directions, maps, etc.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy way to copy an entire thread?

Thanks - I didn't realize that was there. But it's still basically the same as me going through a thread that could be 15 pages long and copying and pasting each post that I'm interested in. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and sometimes I like to copy and print something out and look at it rather than on my computer. When I research my trips, I'll use the Search function to find stuff or read old trip reports. I work at a computer all day so sometimes I just want a hard copy to sift through. Just thought I'd ask.

At least I learned something new!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,801 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy way to copy an entire thread?

You can copy and paste each page one at a time. Not perfect but better than just each post you are interested in. Go to the last sentence of the last post on Page 1, hold down left click on your mouse then scroll up to first word of the topic you want to copy. This should highlight the text. Right click and press Copy if you are using IE or Ctl + C then go to a Word Document you have opened and Paste into that. Do same for each page adding to the last one you have pasted.

5. Re: Easy way to copy an entire thread?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:40