We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why link to facebook???!!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Why link to facebook???!!

I really, really hate the way Trip Advisor now links to facebook. I have to sign out of Facebook (which I hate, and only joined for one specific necessity, recently), and then sign in with my usual Trip Advisor log in. A lot of trouble. Furthermore, I really don't want to be told where my "facebook friends" have gone on trips. If they want me to know, they'll tell me.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,486 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why link to facebook???!!

+1 for that. I don't like FB, don't want FB, don't need FB, don't need it in my face here on TA either. And the current market shenanigans keeps me company on the "who needs it" side of things! :-))

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why link to facebook???!!

Here are a couple of links that might interest you:

How does TripAdvisor use Facebook to personalize my experience?

tripadvisor.ca/help/how_does_ta_use_facebook…

How to disable personalization

www.tripadvisor.ca/help/how_to_turn_off_ip

L4

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why link to facebook???!!

I really hate the taste of milk, I don't want it and I don't need it! But I do not expect the mall to stop offering it!

In fact I haven't even told them, that I am not a fan of milk...I just don't buy it ;-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,486 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why link to facebook???!!

I think it's fair to say that FB is a link on every website known to man. I can't think of another one that makes me notice FB as I do on TA. They are all designed well, thoughtfully, OPTIONALLY, meaning off to one side if you want to click on it. On TA, the opposite is true. It is pushed and pushed some more to the point of being intrusive. It's a bit like having a panhandler nagging at you with his tin cup in your face. It's a bit like the pop ups jumping out at you. It's true, some are insensitive to the intrusion and the irritation and they don't care one way or the other. TA would do well to modify their design to put the FB link in a much more subtle framework. When the complaints stop, they will know they have successfully designed the FB link.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 09:00
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,795 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why link to facebook???!!

Mufti,

TA is not going to modify or make the FB sign on any less prominent. If the figures I found are correct, there are over 57,000,000 Facebook connections on TA.

It doesn't work for you or me, but given the sheer number of FB connections, it seems to work for many others. I should mention that I don't find it intrusive or being pushed in any way. I'm not connected and won't connect. It only takes to read what's in front of you to bypass it on TA and on so many other sites.

Silvia

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why link to facebook???!!

I love TA, I do not like FB, my wife loves FB, we share the same laptop, and my wife logs out of FB every time, its not hard.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,486 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why link to facebook???!!

Hi Silvia,

Thanks for posting your comments and your point of view.

There are sheer numbers of connections on almost every website. They are well designed to allow the connections without slapping you in the face to do so. I'm not sure how you know so certainly that TA will not modify or make the FB sign on any less prominent. In fact that doesn't seem a certainty at all. TA could actually make it worse, lol, as some of the recent changes and 400 post threads can attest. Many many websites make the FB sign on less prominent and do just fine.

I read what's in front of me. I do just fine. I find the over-the-top prominence for the FB connection completely unnecessary (as other websites demonstrate) and sympathize completely with those who post on here about that. Tone it down and the protests to TA will stop.

JMHO.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why link to facebook???!!

I believe I have avoided my FB account communicating with my TA account so far . . . I think . . . but who knows? Opt-in and opt-out defaults change. User agreements change. Maybe what I signed up for is no longer what I'm getting. I take long trips and like to review for TA while I'm still on the road. My FB friends are not all close friends and they do not all need to know when I am out of town. Thank you for pointing out this issue. I will stop reviewing while I'm on the road and wait until I get home to post. The world does not need to know when my house is empty!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
194 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why link to facebook???!!

It was annoying me and I disabled the link somehow last year. I never log out of Facebook so it wasn't that. The most annoying thing is that it would switch up my profile picture to my Facebook profile picture.

Maybe the link that luckyfour posted will help you out.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why link to facebook???!!

Here's a thread with more detailed and updated information that should be really helpful (read right through):

tripadvisor.ca/…41154545

L4