We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inconsistent searches

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Inconsistent searches

If i search for "Aurora, CO" I get a listing with 9 restaurants. If I search another way, I get 402 restaurants. This is confusing. Please fix.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inconsistent searches

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! Before I respond to your question, I want to point out that I don't work for TripAdvisor. As with all Destination Experts, I'm a TA member just like you who volunteers to help fellow members with their questions.

I think I know the two different searches that you're talking about, but I wasn't able to replicate your results exactly.

First, I used the search box on the top right corner of this page to search on

Aurora, CO

and I got to the following results page:

www.tripadvisor.ca/Search?q=Aurora%2C+CO

In the centre column of that page, just below a note about Aurora Cruises, I see:

Aurora, Colorado, United States

Aurora

Hotels (49) | B&Bs/Inns (2)

Restaurants (402) | Things to Do (15) | Forums

I click on "Restaurants (402)" and I am taken to this page, the first of 402 restaurants listed for Aurora:

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g29144-Aurora_Col…

However, if I ignore the large print in the centre of the page of search results, and instead look to the left hand column, I see

"Refine search

"All Results <selected>

"› Locations (1)

"› Lodgings (18)

"› Restaurants (12)

"› Attractions (4)

"› Resources (1)

"› Reviews (2,497)

"› Forums (258)

"› Traveller Articles (16)

If I then click on the "Restaurants (12)" link, I see a dozen restaurants listed. They are all located in Aurora, CO or Aurora, IN, and they all have either "Aurora" or "Co" as part of the restaurant name.

So clearly this is a different type of search from the main search results in the center column.

And yes, TA could make that a bit clearer than just the two words "refine search" in the top column. At the minimum, "refine search" should link to a Help Center page talking about how and when to use this feature. (Unless, of course, it is already slated to be removed.)

Edited: 09 June 2012, 16:00
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inconsistent searches

Thanks for your response. My point is that following their instructions is misleading and results in a faulty search. To wit:

1. Start at www.Tripadvisor.com

2. Under "Plan the perfect trip" click on the box for restaurants. It then tells you to "Enter city or restaurant name".

3. Enter "Aurora, Colorado"

4. It then presents the "Refine search" box that shows "Restaurants (9)". Clicking on that gives you 9 restaurants, not the 402 restaurants that you can get to by clicking on "Locations (1)".

Someone following the instructions as displayed will end up seeing only 9 of the 402 restaurants in Aurora, CO. If you have clicked on "restaurants" and entered a city name, as instructed, you should see all restaurants in that city (or is it just me?).

Thanks for your time.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inconsistent searches

Perhaps what is not clear from the Refine Search feature, and what could be explained better, is that it will only bring up restaurant suggestions there that have either "Aurora" or "Colorado" as part of the restaurant's name.

Personally I don't there is any need to click on the Refine Search options in this case as the initial search finds the Destination Listing for Aurora, CO, and displays this result in the centre of the screen. This result tells you there are 402 restaurants listed there (without even having to click on Locations (1) in Refine Search).

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inconsistent searches

I don't think I ever use the Refine Search section. It could disappear completely and I probably wouldn't notice.

But I do agree with SVC_911 that someone encountering TA's standard search results page could quite reasonably click on that rather than the link that experienced TA members know is the main link - the one with 402 restaurants.

5. Re: Inconsistent searches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 03:42