We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakdown Restaurant Categories

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Breakdown Restaurant Categories

Maybe this has been suggested before so bear with me.....I have noticed that restaurant reviews include all sorts of eateries.....real restaurants, take-out places, grocery store sandwich makers, even take and bake pizza places......

If there is no criteria to be listed as a restaurant (such as eat in seating or waitstaff).....then maybe there should be sub categories with each classification getting its own rating......

Really unfair to list the #1 restaurant in Name-you-own-City as a hot dog cart

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,555 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakdown Restaurant Categories

<<bear with me>> lolololololololololol

I think this has been suggested before. I think one of the comments was that each resto is not comparable to another. The button rating simply represents individual experiences at THAT restaurant. In other words, it gets 5 buttons if the large majority of reviewers rates THEIR experience as 5 button. Therefore, because there would be no "cross referencing" there would be no need to categorize them further. Just saying.

There are criteria to be listed as a restaurant. (And I'm not searching in the HC to see if I can find them! :-} )

I think having subcategories a good idea, myself but I understand it could get pretty messy, just like figuring out and doing reviews in the day tours - multi day tours dilemma. Reviewers would post anywhere and everywhere and submit a request for a resto in one of the sub categories which would duplicate an existing resto already present in another sub category. Not sure, just pondering.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakdown Restaurant Categories

I feel the same as you mombear, in my DE city there is a crêpe stall as the #7 restaurant!

There was a recent discussion in the Support Forum about whether there is any criteria for a restaurant listing:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k55467…

I do think that anything that is purely a takeaway should be either removed or put in a subcategory but I also agree with Mufti that it would be a hell of a job to recategorise the existing listings.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakdown Restaurant Categories

Joes Hot Dogs is number # 1-- he really gets around he is in my area all the time. :o))

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,221 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakdown Restaurant Categories

When we review something, we're not giving *stars* like a Michelin rating, we're simply supposed to be rating our satisfaction with the place.

If people are satisfied with a hot dog stand on a city street corner, well then I guess it would deserve a high ranking.

Remember when the 'bicycle tours', et al., were rated above attractions such as the Eiffel Tower? And we complained and complained and finally TA responded and split up the Attractions category into four divisions?

That was a *major* improvement.

However, I see a never-ending nightmare to try to separate out the restaurants into categories, even just two or three basic categories.

5. Re: Breakdown Restaurant Categories

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 10:16