We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Topic
How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

Seems that there are a fair amount of photography questions on the forums that I frequent (mostly the US desert southwest, which is a very photogenic area). While some of the questions are somewhat specific to the destination, there are others that are more general (asking for tips on equipment and how to take shots). Seems like a place to gather this information could be useful. I guess some of this could be covered under “Travel Gadgets and Gear” but I was just thinking that a more specific forum on travel photography might be useful. Just a thought.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

I have just bought an additional camera for our next trip and they have their own website dedicate to help people with all manner of questions as well a loads of helpful hints

I am sure there are loads of other similar sites out there

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

Sure, the web is FULL of websites an any number of topics. Shoot, I'm sure there are dozens of sites for landscape photography and travel photography (I've looked at a few in fact). But my question is if there is merit to having a forum for travel photography here on TA. Someplace to collect collect advice and perhaps eventually have TQs and the odd travel article on photography (and post links to other photography related sites). Seems there are a number of shutterbugs here on TA; just seemed like another possibility to build a community. Perhaps it would not get the traction it needed, as there other other sites and certainly forums on the web. Again, just an kicking around an idea....

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

TA cant be all things to all people ie. a one stop travel shopping spot.

there has to be a limit.

getting things right with what is already here should be a bigger priority than adding peripheral stuff

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

OK, since I started this, I'll continue to defend the position....

I don't think that "travel photography" would be peripheral stuff. In fact, photography can be “the” reason that some folks travel or at least a significant activity during a trip. I don’t think photography is any more peripheral than say golf travel, Olympics, World Cup or Winter Sports (all of which have dedicated forums).

As for TA getting it right, while I agree that there is work to be done, that should not be a reason for not adding a new forum, if there is a need for the forum (still the question raised by this post).

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

I agree with OH. I run across many people asking photography related questions. Might be kind of nice to have a forum relating to travel photography.

I also agree that I see no difference between "travel photography" and "golf travel"

And by the way-- I LIKE one stop shopping :)

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

I too would like to see a travel photography forum, not to ask about equipment but places to travel when photography is your interest. It has nothing to do with using a camera, but where to go and what type of equipment to take, for those of us who are not interested in travel photography.

There is 142 threads in the Golf forum in two years. I would bet that there would be many multiples of that on a travel photography forum on TA.

Silvia

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

There was quite the war about this, on this very forum, a few years back. I think the result was the gadgets and gears forum.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

Just as an FYI, I have seen a number of photography questions on the Gadgets and Gear Forum. I remember a lengthy thread about how to take a picture of dent in a rental car and there was an interesting discussion about filters, etc.

From what I've seen, the threads are generally more technical (what camera to buy) rather than artistic/composition.

L4

Edited: 17 September 2012, 02:19
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

Gadgets and gear sounds fine if asking a good camera for traveling. Maybe i misunderstood the OP. I though the idea was a forum for travel photography, such as to discuss the best places to travel to for those interesting in photography.

Silvia

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,086 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How about a “Travel Photography” forum?

I have opposed this idea in the past, on the grounds that surely there are other, better photography forums. But I'm now wondering if a specific photography forum here on TA might be a good way to enable TA members to transition to more specialized and technical forums by starting within the familiar TA community. Also, perhaps there are issues unique to travel. I'm thinking of things like different laws relating to privacy and photos of people taken in public places; cultural issues to be aware of (also suitable for destination forums, of course, but a travel photo forum could be a good place to start the discussion); photography in museums (flash? no flash? no photos at all); and so on.

Edited: 17 September 2012, 05:21