We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culinary Travel Inspiration section please!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Topic
Culinary Travel Inspiration section please!

I'm a big foodie. So are most of my friends and family. So I'm a bit at loss as to why Tripadvisor hasn't yet added the Culinary category to itstravel ideas sections... I'd love to go around the globe and eat in the best rated restuarants, stay in the best price/quality hotels. Hell, forget Travelocity or bookings.whatever. What I want is a guide that will point out the best travel ideas (citytrips, weekend stays, etc etc) for a foodie... Am I alone in this, or is it just a silly question...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Culinary Travel Inspiration section please!

Hi Hugo M and welcome to the forums. The forums are where you should be spending more time as you plan your holidays!

This is the best place to find the information about the "foodie" type of restaurants you prefer - and to learn which one to avoid.

Here is an example of the type of information you can get from asking a "foodie" question in a local forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g52024-i238-k36151…

Of course, if you just want "best rated" places, you can read Michelin or Zagat guide or similar, and also check the TA restaurant listings for your destination :-)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Culinary Travel Inspiration section please!

Hi Hugo M (and a wave to half-Brit),

I am reading your suggestion as meaning that you would like a forum in which fellow foodies could share their knowledge of their favorite restaurants (or chefs, local cuisines, unusual foods), and ask for/offer suggestions for making travel plans to new destinations based on where and what you will eat?

When my husband and I graduated from college (nearly 30 years ago), we took a road-trip across the United States, and we planned our itinerary around the restaurants recommended in an excellent guide to the best of American cuisine based on regional specialties: Good Food, The Adventurous Eater's Guide by Jane and Michael Stern.

We even had the owners/chefs autograph the restaurant's pages in our copy of the book, in a number of the places we tried. I think I gained 10-12 lbs, as we ate our way across the USA (which is essentially the title of a follow-up guide by the same authors).

I think it would be a great addition to our Beyond Destination Forums, as being similar to our forums that help users select the perfect destination for Beach Vacations, Golf Vacations, Outdoor/Adventure Travels, etc.

Best regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Edited: 03 October 2012, 14:52
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,086 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Culinary Travel Inspiration section please!

I took like the idea of a foodie forum, as much as I like the idea of having a Photography Travel forum.

However, for a foodie forum, I'd like to see a definition of Foodie first (for the forums) or call the forum something different. Many people claim to be foodies because they have a interest in food and would try and eat anything at any type of food joint; others seem to associate it with gourmet (a term no longer used) and fine restaurant dining.

Silvia

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,576 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Culinary Travel Inspiration section please!

This idea was brought up earlier by QFOX, and discussed on this thread:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k5103141-…

As a result of the consensus reached there, adding a "Food and Wine Travel" forum has been on the HUMTAB forum mini list for a while.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g41707-c174411/Newton:…

5. Re: Culinary Travel Inspiration section please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 03:18