We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

I have been very concerned lately about the integrity of some reviews. I have first hand knowledge of one TA Reviewer who has blatently given a very poor rating to a hotel becasue their own unfair demands were not met by the hotel in question. The reviewer was drunk for the majority of the stay, demanded tables in a restaurant which had been booked by other guests, was physically aggressive to staff and vomitted in the hotel bar area in front of other guests. Because this behaviour was not tolerated by the hotel manager, the poor review was given.

Tripadvisor should demand the respect of travellers and business owners alike.It is only by ensuring that reviewers give an open, honest opinion of their experiences that it can be relied upon as a medium for sound and accurate information . People who use TA just to air their own grievances should be stopped from doing so. I have no issue with people genuinely giving a poor review for poor service and accommodation if it is true and had been raised with the establishment concerned at the time. The establishment must be given an opportunity to rectify any issues before reviewers go to print.

I am just an ordinary reviewer who provides what I feel to be helpful, independent information to other travellers.

Comments please?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,472 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

Hi Ali264163;

How do you suggest that this be accomplished by TA ?

Best Regards

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

I'm really not sure and I was hoping that other, more experienced reviewers could provide a view.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,472 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

Hi Ali;

TA receives an average of 11,000 reviews each day. What you're suggesting would require an army of staff, and even then, there could still be a disagreement between the guest and the business.

You're asking TA staff to act as mediators, which is not there function.

Best Regards

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

The owner of the property can add a management reply to the review to put their side of the story

"The establishment must be given an opportunity to rectify any issues before reviewers go to print"

We were at a resort recently where some guests were unhappy with certain things but they had not made the resort aware of their unhappiness and this is quite a common occurrence so properties have no way of trying to put things right

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

I am not a big fan of much of what TA does, but this is one case where I don't think TA can really do much because it really can't determine who is right and who is wrong. The property owner has a chance to respond, and I think that can counteract bad reviews if the owner has facts in his/her favor. The thing that amazes me is how often property owners don't respond to bad reviews (even more surprising is those who respond to all good reviews, and ignore the bad ones; to me that is really an indication that the owners don't really give a crap about their guests).

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

@ Ali - I think you have to take such reviews with a grain of salt. It's like throwing out the top score and the worst score and look at the rest. If, for example, you see a resort with 2000+ reviews, and 1800 of them are 4 or 5 Stars, then you have to wonder about the people who are giving 1 star. I read a review recently from my favorite resort and it was a 1-star. Complaints ranged from being dirty to horrible service to people being topless (like they can control that), etc.. And in your case, you witnessed the obnoxious behavior. I think most of us can see through some of these folks and for others - well, you just can't please no matter what you do.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,384 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

>>The establishment must be given an opportunity to rectify any issues before reviewers go to print.<<

I don't see how that can be accomplished. The basic fabric of the TripAdvisor concept is to accept all reviews - whether good, bad or indifferent - as long as they follow the review guidelines.

However, as has been mentioned above, all owners/managers have the opportunity to respond to any and all reviews.

The traveler has their say, the management has their say, and that is the end of it. A calm, measured, informational response from management goes a long way to counteract any damage caused by a ranting, hysterical review by an unhappy guest!

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

Thank you for your responses. It's just the sense of injustice that a good resort can be given a poor rating because the reviewers did'nt get what they wanted. I am all for hotel managers standing up to terrible behaviour so that standards are maintained for the majority.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

There are always going to be extremes. OTT fabulous reviews provided by the owner's family and friends and really scathing reviews given by those who have stormed out of the establishment for whatever reason yelling 'you'll be sorry' (even if under their breath).

Readers of reviews are smart enough (or should be) to ignore the extremes and go with the majority.

If the majority of reviews say a place is clean and well run then it probably is. One scathing review doesnt put people off.

Look at the top hotel in any city and you'll find one star reviews.

Look at the worst hotel and you'll find someone who loved it.

Flint, mi
Level Contributor
779 posts
1,194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Let's ensure the integrity of Tripadvisor

I would like to see some sort of "bell curve" algorithm applied.

Basically drop the top and bottom 5% extremes and set rankings of what's left. Of course, properties with less than, say 10 reviews, would have too small a sampling for this to work.