We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwich restaurant entries

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Norwich restaurant entries

I cannot understand how tea shops and cafes have started making it into the restaurant section of Norwich restaurants. These eateries are definitely worthy of being in Trip Advisor but surely they should be in a separate category. For instance The Window, which is a brilliant little coffee shop in Norwich which seats about 6 people maximum, is shown above Roger Hickman's which is a high class dining establishment in Norwich and is worthy, in my opinion, of the number 1 spot. In the top 10 of restaurants in Norwich the vast majority is made up of cafes or tea shops. I would be interested to find out if anyone else finds this frustrating.....

Edited: 28 November 2012, 12:22
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norwich restaurant entries

Hi jules111_9,

This is not a new phenomenon and is certainly not unique to Norwich...you'll find such a mix under pretty much every destination you look at. In Canterbury the current #1 city-centre restaurant is actually a street stall.

You can always filter by cuisine type, but this relies on eateries being correctly tagged with the most appropriate type (not always the case!) so is not really the most useful tool to get round this.

Search this forum and you'll see that there have been lots of similar comments to yours before and TripAdvisor has not changed anything yet. As there has also been plenty of heated debate over the breakdown of Attractions categories into different sections, I can't see TripAdvisor being willing to tackle dividing up restaurant types under different tabs as well.

Also, it would be a major task so workload would certainly be a factor against implementing this; and then the huge volumes of reporting incorrect categories that this will undoubtedly cause. For a long time there have been issues with very long wait times for corrections that frustrates many users.

I think that users have to accept that TripAdvisor is not just about fine dining - it's about customer satisfaction, value for money etc. If you're only interested in high class dining, the Michelin Guide already serves this task.

From reviews of such estalishments I've read, I've often noticed that people feel like their high expectations have not been met which is why they might end up lower down the rankings than a really good quality cafe. At the end of the day, if not enough people are giving Roger Hickman's 5/5 then it's not going to be #1.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norwich restaurant entries

The problem with trying to divide restaurants into different categories is that many places do not fit neatly into a single category.

While some tea/coffee shops only sell a small range of sandwiches and cakes others offer a full menu so deserve to be compared against restaurants.

Whilst not perfect I think having a single restaurants category works best.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norwich restaurant entries

Thanks for your responses. Its good to know other people have felt strongly about this too.

I understand the problem TA face with dividing the categories. I still feel if a restaurant just serves breakfast and brunch and not dinner there should be a way of differentiating this but I realise this would be difficult to administer.

What frustrates me is the way the restaurants are ranked and that it doesn't take into account how many reviews a restaurant has received - its all about percentages. To use Roger Hickman's purely as an example. The restaurant has received a total of 202 reviews versus only 41 for The Window. But because RH's has received a few negative reviews (although the majority of reviews are 4 or 5 out of 5) it has a lower recommendation rate than The Window.

I just feel its not a true reflection of how good a restaurant is and I suppose at the end of the day you have to make your own judgement based on other people's comments.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norwich restaurant entries

Again, how rankings are calculated is a popular question over in the Support forum.

TripAdvisor has always said in its Help Centre that they are calculated from the number of reviews, the recency of reviews as well as the scores given by the reviewers.

There are 2 calculations; there is the Traveler Rating which gives the overall score out of 5 (green dots), and there is the Popularity Index which generates the ranking order. Looking at Norwich, I can see that as of today Roger Hickman's have a Traveler Rating of 4.5/5 but is higher in the rankings than Appleyard & Co which has a overall score of 5/5 after 9 reviewers gave it 5/5. So rankings are not purely based on percentages.

TripAdvisor has never revealed exactly what formula they use to calculate the rankings in terms of weight given each deciding factor, but there are basic explanations that you can find by searching in the Help Centre but I've copied & pasted one of them below for you:

"How does the overall Traveler Rating differ from the Popularity Index?

To help you plan your trip, TripAdvisor shows Traveler Reviews and Ratings for each accommodation, restaurant and attraction. Traveler Reviews and Ratings are a measure of how well our travelers have liked each place. Overall Traveler Ratings appear at the top of each destination page, and individual ratings are shown within the detail sections of the page. The overall Traveler Rating is a summary score based on quality, quantity and age of individual ratings.

TripAdvisor also displays a Popularity Index. The Popularity Index ranks hospitality businesses worldwide based on the popularity of a given business, as measured by the quality, quantity, and recency of content written about the business on TripAdvisor. Based on user feedback, we feel this formula is right on the mark."

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norwich restaurant entries

The TA App actually does break down restaurants into different categories, even though the website doesn't.

For Norwich, the categories shown are "Sit down (368 restaurants)", "Cafe (7)", and "Fast food (4)". The Window and The Tea House are both in the "sit down" category, while the cafe category has No. 33 Cafe Bar, The Buck Inn, Cherryleaf Coffee House, The Eagle p.h., The Woolie, Birchy's Diner, and coffeecup norwich.

Which I suspect just goes to show how difficult it is to categorize restaurants.

I have made the point in the past that if a system of putting restaurants into categories is going to have any hope of working, it needs to have an option for the owner to simply choose which category the restaurant will be placed in. (Perhaps there could be a note or icon to show the restaurant was self-categorized?) Then restaurants can pick their own category and live with the consequences. Those consequences may include being judged by TA members as immodest, delusional, or picking their categories strategically (better to soar with the crows than to lag behind the eagles).