We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What constitutes an attraction?

Ventnor, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
What constitutes an attraction?

TripAdvisor recently rejected an idea I had for an attraction. They did refer me to their list of rules, but I was none the wiser. My idea was for a village with many Victorian villas and some unusual architectural features, having many associations with writers and artists, including Charles Dickens. It also has a beautiful little church with Norman features, whose visitors' book is testament to its popularity with people from far and wide.

My question is, what constitutes an attraction? For some people it is the purpose-built commerciaised tourist trap with entertainment for all the family; for others it is something less ostentatious, but far more meaningful. When I went on walking holidays in Dorset in 2011 and 2012, following in the footsteps of the novelist and poet,Thomas Hardy, the main attractions for us were the landscape, the villages and the many beautiful little country churches, some no longer used. They often have historic associations with writers, poets, artists and their works, or with other well-known personalities.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,707 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What constitutes an attraction?

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums, Maggie! Before I respond to your comment, I want to point out that I don't work for TripAdvisor. Like all Destination Experts, I'm a TA member just like you who volunteers to help fellow members with their questions.

I would be very surprised if TA were to list a village as an attraction. A village would be considered a destination, which may include one or more attractions. My city has lots of great attractions - zoos, museums, historic sites, parks and so on. I wouldn't dream of submitting it for listing as an attraction itself.

Now, if the village isn't set up as a destination on TA, that is a different discussion, but let's assume that it is.

In your shoes, I would submit as many features of this lovely village as possible to TA as attractions. Start with that Norman church. Is it listed as a heritage site, with a blue plaque or something similar? Submit it to TA, with links to its main website, whether that's the National Trust, English Heritage, the church's own website, or a Wikipedia article.

Do likewise for any other historic homes or buildings in the village. Or write a TripAdvisor Traveller Article ( …custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/572/kw ) describing what visitors can see when visiting the village, if the historic and artistic aspects of the village have not yet been recognized by the appropriate authorities, or don't yet have a decent representation on the internet.

Yes, it can be a lot of work, and I wouldn't suggest this to everyone. But it sounds like you're passionate about this, just as I'm passionate about my own, much younger, city and its history, art, and architecture.

Edited: 26 December 2012, 16:39
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What constitutes an attraction?

You can list a vast number of types of attractions including Churches, Monuments, Scenic views.

What you can not normally do is list is an entire village or town as an attraction,

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,707 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What constitutes an attraction?

Exactly! :D

Ventnor, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What constitutes an attraction?

Thank you both for your explanations and advice that I have noted and will try to follow.

However,The Isle of Wight, where the little village I wanted listed as an attraction is situated, is an English county that has no cities and only small towns and villages. Some of its greatest attractions are its scenery, the Victorian character of some of its towns and villages, its wildlife, its dinosaurs and its literary and artistic heritage. And these are what I am trying to reflect in my reviews. Apart from traditional family seaside holidays, the Island is popular with walkers, cyclists and surfers.

Bonchurch was listed by TA as a destination, but only for sleeping and eating. However, I was recently granted an attraction listing for 'The Landslip' , on geological grounds. So that's a first.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,707 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What constitutes an attraction?

I suggest you start by submitting the locations of all of the blue plaques for Bonchurch that I found listed on this page:

isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/towns/ventnor…

So, for example, if I was submitting the first blue plaque site, I would submit it as an attraction named "Seaside Cottage" (if that's the correct name, or is it "Bonchurch Shores"?), and the type of attraction would be "historic site". For a website, I would use

http://openplaques.org/plaques/9323

(It's too bad that the Ventnor & District Local History Society, which sponsored this plaque, doesn't show their plaques on their website, as that would be a better link.)

In the comments section, I would say something like: "This beautiful section of the coast was painted by many famous UK artists,including Edward William Cooke RA, Thomas Miles Richardson Jnr, Thomas Leeson Rowbotham and Clarkson Stanfield RA." I would also include these links in the comments section, to add a little more data for TA:

iwcp.co.uk/news/plaque-for-most-pictured-coa…

isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/towns/ventnor…

Edited: 26 December 2012, 23:15
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,707 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What constitutes an attraction?

By the way, I've successfully submitted many similar attractions to TA for my own destination. So this isn't just something I dreamed up now but haven't tried; it can work. But it will take time, research, and perseverance.

Ventnor, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What constitutes an attraction?

Thank you, Country_Wife, for taking the trouble to do some research. I will follow the links you gave me and take some time to reflect on your suggestions. Your responses have been helpful.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What constitutes an attraction?

Great advice. I've managed to get several local historic churches, nature reserves, country parks etc listed as attractions on TripAdvisor too.

They'll often have a page with pictures and address details on the local authority/wildlife trust/village/tourist board website that you can use as the URL, if they don't have their own dedicated site. A particularly good one for historic decommissioned churches is http://www.visitchurches.org.uk/

For the Isle of Wight, I've just found a good list of historic churches, monuments etc (but no pictures) on the IOW Council's website www.iwight.com/placestogo/default.asp…

But:- TripAdvisor is not just about reviews - you can also use the destination forums both to recommend and ask about such places. You might like to keep an eye on the Isle of Wight forum for questions you think you could contribute to tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186308-i666-Isl…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What constitutes an attraction?

Maggie N, you may also be interested in writing one or more Traveller Article(s) about the villages of the Isle of Wight.

Then you can link to them in forum discussions.

Ventnor, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What constitutes an attraction?

Well. thank you so much, everyone who responded to my call for help. I really appreciate all your ideas and advice. You've worked hard on my behalf and no doubt your recommendations could be adapted by others who read this forum and, like me, are new to TA. I have plenty of leads to follow up now that should keep me busy for some time..

Edited: 30 December 2012, 21:11