We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Conversations

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,559 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Recent Conversations

Hi

Although I will admit that I was a little dubious about this new feature when it was launched I have found myself using it more and more

Accordingly, I would like to see us having the option of clicking on the time stamp to take us to the last post

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,217 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent Conversations

Have you seen this thread about them, FFM?

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k5998341-…

Personally, I barely even notice this feature.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,559 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent Conversations

C_W

Yes I did at that time and just wanted to raise it again now as more people should be aware of the enhancement and will hopefully be using it and would appreciate this tweak

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent Conversations

I agree that making the date a clickable link would increase the usability of this feature.

I would also like it renamed 'Recent topics' to avoid yet more terminology confusion

Recent Conversation at the bottom of the page is different form the totally useless 'More about ...' ancient threads that CW's link refers to

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent Conversations

I agree with post 3 that "Recent Topics" is a much better name choice, but it is probably too late.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,600 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent Conversations

Question please, because I don't even notice them and don't use them. Is there any further benefit you have found from clicking on a Recent Conversation than being taken directly to another topic on the same Forum? Therefore, a single click rather than clicking on "Forums" and then the topic? a.k.a. another forum main page in a different style.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 03:00
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,559 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent Conversations

Mufti

It can save you a click and if they activated the time stamp it would always save you a click

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent Conversations

Yes, essentially it gives you the convenience of having the first half of the main page accessible without the need to click to Go back to the main page before clicking on the next thread to be read. A very minor saving but it does help you see what else is happening on the forum.

Some Forum systems have Next/Prev thread buttons for quick navigation but I prefer the Recent conservations idea because you can see where you are going and skip uninteresting threads,

It would be even more useful in a side bar to avoid scrolling down - the left sidebar has nothing useful - I have never been tempted to 'Explore the world' and link to a random hotel on a different continent from the destination forum I am reading!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,600 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent Conversations

Thanks both. Tried it out both ways. I do tend to prefer a meta-view of the forum page with user name, # of replies and last post plus position in the queue info over moving from one opened thread to another. It's all about context.

9. Re: Recent Conversations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 07:17