We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Category to Add

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Category to Add

I love how you have categories to browse for cities (hotels,things to do, restaurants). I would love to see the addition of "shopping" to list best places to shop. Thanks for your great site!

Flint, mi
Level Contributor
766 posts
1,186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Category to Add

I think that they do in the "Things to do" as a sub-category.

In my city of Flint, there are a few.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Category to Add

Yes, this section already exists although the Shopping section will only appear where a destination has more than 20 listings in Things To Do.

I see you've asked another question about shopping in Asheville. If you visit the Asheville Things To Do page, you'll see 4 categories: Attractions, Activites, Nightlife and Shopping.

In my opinion the Shopping category tends to be more affected by mis-categorisation of some attractions than the other sections (for example art museums wrongly classified as retail art galleries will appear here), and also as it is the 4th section along it seems somewhat more "hidden" than the main Attraction listings and tends to receive fewer reviews.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Category to Add

Oh ok, thank you. I tried to add a store for review, and it was rejected. So, I thought maybe stores weren't allowed. It would be nice though, since shopping (especially souvenirs) can be a big part of traveling. The one I tried to submit was Rugg Road Paper Company in Boston. It is a permanent storefront, not a traveling market or anything. I thought it was neat bc it was featured in a movie Anne Hathaway was in.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Category to Add

TripAdvisor has some odd attitudes about adding stores. If you browse in any city, you'll find all kinds of stores. But when I recently tried to add a local store that specializes in carrying products only made in Oregon of interest to travellers, I was told I could not add it because it was part of a chain! (There are about a dozen in the "chain" - all located in Oregon and all offering goods made only in Oregon.)

Since you tried to add something to Boston, you might like to look at the Shopping category for Boston:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60745-Activitie…

Hmmm, on the first page I see Neiman Marcus, Trader Joe's, Eddie Bauer -- all of those are "chains"!

Edited: 02 February 2013, 21:08
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Category to Add

Another category to consider:

For hotel listings you have various ratings for cleanliness, value, etc. Consider adding the topic of internet availability and how it is offered, wi-fi or wired. some hotels still have wired internet. I bring a cord, RJ-45 type, to plug in. It is slightly more secure but can be a real inconvenience. You might also consider speed of internet which is very important for many business travellers. Many restaurants also offer Wi-Fi which could also be rated for speed and 'solidness' of connection.

I posted this under another topic- Suggestion for making trip advisor better

6. Re: Category to Add

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 05:18