We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New forums features are here

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Topic
New forums features are here

Hi everyone,

We're launching some changes to the forums today. Here's what you'll see:

· A fresh, updated look. Forums will have the same easy-to-use design you've seen throughout the site.

· "Latest reply by…" By popular demand! Topic lists will show who added the most recent reply, not just who originally posted the topic.

· Fewer interruptions. We've taken ads out of threads so you can scroll through questions and answers more easily.

We're excited about these changes and hope you'll all enjoy them! Please feel free to discuss or ask any questions about them here.

Thanks,

Dan

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,682 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New forums features are here

Dan

Can you do a global sticky with a link to a thread for people to ask questions and/or make comments

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,682 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New forums features are here

It is very early days but my initial impression is that I do not like it

Sorry TA

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,325 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New forums features are here

Oh boy! This is going to take some getting used to. I'm not prepared to say if I like it or don't like it at this point. It has to prove functional first. And every time I move from one thread to another, or forum to another it changes "identity." Quite unsettling right now. My initial comment is a follow up to my previous comment that them main thread column is 15% narrower than before and that is most noticeable. But really guys, it's only been in front of you for '5 minutes' and you haven't had a chance to use it yet.

ha ha. I just submitted and got sent to the same open reply box on the old format to submit the old way!!

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New forums features are here

Forum pages are even more cluttered, thread topics list and contents are even more squeezed, there are less forum posts on a page because the squeeze means that poster details are no longer to the side of posts. Need I go on? Like FFM, I don't like the changes and don't believe they have anything to do with making life better for users.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New forums features are here

Why does only half the forum page show the forum? Surely a forum page should shown forum stuff rather than an inconsequential survey and a list of cities?

USA
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New forums features are here

It is not as good as the old expanded version and I assume it is a bug that has the avatars above each post instead of next to each post. This is a change I did not need.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,906 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New forums features are here

Is there a way to get the expanded view back? I don't like the new boxes and there's a lot more scrolling to see what's posted. If I refresh the page, sometimes I'll get the expanded view back but sometimes I won't, and I don't see the place to click on expanded view anymore. If it stays like this it might be annoying enough for me to stop using TA.

USA
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New forums features are here

I don't see the edit button. I got an error message with my first attempt to post above, something about needing to make a valid HTTP something or other.

Ah, got it again.

"Please correct the following errors

- Your request was invalid. Please send a valid HTTP request.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,906 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New forums features are here

I got that too on the London Forum, hoogo. I tried again and it went through without me changing anything, and I haven't gotten it again. It was my first post after this "upgrade", so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New forums features are here

My initial impression is that I am not impressed with this change. I do not see that this is in anyway better for users. Sorry TA but this is a step backwards in my opinion!