We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Bread Crumbs"??

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
"Bread Crumbs"??

I've read several comments on the thread regarding changes to TA about "bread crumbs", it's mentioned in this this recent response: "The Browse Forums breadcrumbs really need to be more pronounced". What does that mean?

I usually just post in travel forums and write reviews, I'm not as familiar with the support or HUMTAB forums does Browse Forums refer to a specific thread or is it just another way of saying looking through any forums?

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Bread Crumbs"??

If you look a little above your post here you'll see "Browse Forums" then you click on "ALL" next to it....- that takes you to where all the Forum Main sections can be found (i.e. the loaf of bread) then some may have lower levels (breadcrumbs) i.e. Europe would have: Spain/Italy/France etc then further down and so on and so on :)

Hope that explains..

CB

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,929 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Bread Crumbs"??

They're called "bread crumbs" because, like in the Hansel & Gretel story, they can be used to find your way around the site. Here's a longer bread crumb trail for you to look at: tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g59929-i715-Green_B…

Just above where it says "Green Bay Travel Form" in very large print, you see the following:

Home > United States > Wisconsin (WI) > Green Bay

Each of those words is hyperlinked to the main TA page for that destination. So using the breadcrumbs allows you to jump around (or, more accurately, jump up) within the TA site.

Then, if you look a little lower down on the page, because this is a forum page there is a second set of bread crumbs that go directly to forums. They're just above the large green print that reads "255 topics from our community":

Browse forums v All | United States forums | Wisconsin forums

If you click on "Wisconsin forums", you'll view all Wisconsin forums, not just the Green Bay forums. If you click on "United States forums", you'll go directly to the United States forum level, from which you can pick a different state.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 14:10
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,343 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Bread Crumbs"??

FTG ~

What I meant by that is the blue print links above the OPs avatar that shows what forum you are on and lets you click back to the parent forum.

On the following thread, you can see above the OPs avatar the wording "Browse Forums - All - Wisconsin Forum - Madison Forums." These are what I call breadcrumbs that allow you to find your way back to the state or country forum. They also help you identify which forum you are currently on. The US is a bit different in that clicking on the US link takes you to a list of all the States. This is not so for the country of Australia, for example where you see all the topics for the whole country. The Canada Forum lists all the topics as does the United Kingdom. So it is really convenient to be able to quickly click around the breadcrumbs to get back to a more parent forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60859-i616-k622…

The breadcrumbs are also located below the last post, but above the green button for "watch this post." I, for one, would like them to be larger, more easily found and less 'camouflaged.'

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Bread Crumbs"??

What a helpful bunch! Thanks. Actually I knew this, but DIDN'T know it as I never heard the term before. I also didn't realize that was the Browse section. To me, it's just what I click on to get to my other forums.

However, I'm quirky in that I save my e-mails and would rather just go back to the update e-mail, then follow the link rather than use the various levels of drop-downs. Bread crumbs, Hansel and Gretel and loaves of bread. I never thought of it that way. I've always thought of them as an outline with the various subsets. I used to think I was given to whimsy and flights of fancy, but you guys take the cake (or bread).

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,929 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Bread Crumbs"??

Wish we could take the cake (or pie, for that matter) but it's actually a fairly standard bit of technical jargon:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

6. Re: "Bread Crumbs"??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 04:18