We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rankings

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rankings

I don't know whether this has been posted before but why can't tripadvisor show next to the hotels whether that hotel had gone up or down in the rankings.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,083 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rankings

This has been raised several times. It was quite recently discussed in this thread:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k6217988-…

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rankings

I will also want to know why can a Hotel go from #3 to #5 in ranking list, when there has not been any negative reviews, au contraire they are all excellent.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,043 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rankings

Hi Marianella;

For future reference, the Support Forum is available for general questions and assistance using the TripAdvisor site.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvi…

There are three key things that factor into the popularity index;

• the number of reviews

• how favourable the reviews are

• how old or recent the reviews are

Also, reviews depreciate over time so an older review, good or bad, does not factor in as much as a newer one. It's not just a simple mathematical average of all the review’s ratings.

tripadvisor.com/help/how_does_the_popularity… tripadvisor.com/help/how_do_traveler_ratings…

You also need to remember that the ratings are dynamic. While that hotel may be receiving great reviews, all of its competitor’s ratings may be adjusting, up or down, depending on the reviews they receive.

Depending on how their competitor’s ratings are affected, their rating may stay the same, move upwards, or move downwards in the overall scheme of things.

Best Regards

Edited: 22 December 2013, 23:38
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,048 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rankings

@Marianella G - the short answer is, maybe they did not drop, the others moved up.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rankings

If I ran TA, I'd choose not to include that kind of thing because it is all but irrelevant. Think about it. Does it really matter if a place was ranked 3rd last month, but 5th this month? The rank has so little to do with the expected quality of a location, I think that any +1/-2 type of notation would do more harm than good. I think it would lead to more snap decisions (including last-minute cancellations) based on a number that often changes with the wind direction.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,932 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rankings

Maybe they should replace the Review Rankings, with the whole 'Trending Now' concept. That way people will know that the venue is just being attentioned at that particular point in time - nothing to do with rank, grade etc etc.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,048 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rankings

You mean like the current "Trending now" feature blinking at the top of the page? ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,932 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rankings

Everything but the blinking part, and not on the main bar :)

9. Re: Rankings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 05:16