We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The "reply" button under every post.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,757 posts
43 reviews
The "reply" button under every post.

I am starting a new thread here on the specific topic of the "reply" button, because the other thread on new features has become too unwieldy and covers many different topics.

So there is a "reply" button under every post. But when you press reply, it does not reply to any specific post. Your "reply" just goes to the bottom of the queue. So on reading one is never sure what a post is a "reply" to, unless the poster is specific. This leads to some poster replying to several posts using pretty much the same reply, as is seen in this example (saying thank you several times):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g528741-i9953-k630…

So unless TA can maintain a tree structure with posts (as an example, you can see this on chowhound.com), you may as well just have one "reply" as example, in Yelp talk threads.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: The "reply" button under every post.

It has always been like that.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,767 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: The "reply" button under every post.

TSS ~

This has been mentioned on the 600+ thread on HUMTAB. TA staff are reading that one and keeping track of all the comments as they work on the tweaks the new roll out needs.

Although the reply button has been in every post as long as I can remember, the new design seems to have made the repeated reply button much bigger. I have noticed an increase in posters using the reply button to reply to an individual poster and the result is a list of:

thank you very much, your information is so helpful

thank you, very helpful

thank you

In my view, these individual thank yous can be embarrassing to the OP when they realize how "uneven" their thank yous have been. I've posted my thoughts about this on that long Staff thread.

The reply buttons on the previous version of TA did not create such a run on 3-4 thank you posts stringing down the forum. IMO, returning the reply button size to what it was before would possibly solve the problem. As well, the reply button for the reply box is so far down the thread, it's actually hard to notice which might be another reason the OP goes for the individual reply buttons.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 06:58
Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: The "reply" button under every post.

Just because it has 'always' been there does not make it right. I vote for getting it removed.

Also having a separate thread for individual issues can demonstrate the ones that particularly 'annoy' people by the number of comments.

David

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: The "reply" button under every post.

I just ignore the button.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,990 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: The "reply" button under every post.

It is far more prominent now and I think that is the main problem

This forum is about "Help us make TA better" and that is what I believe the suggest is

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,217 posts
148 reviews
6. Re: The "reply" button under every post.

@DLB-GOUROCK once again you have echoed my thoughts but so succinctly.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
7. Re: The "reply" button under every post.

The problem with the reply button (imo) is two fold - 1) it is too big and 2) it is set to be a certain distance away from the last line of text in the post when it should be set to be a certain distance above the separator line - this way it would be consistently in the same place right down the page !!!

CB

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,751 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: The "reply" button under every post.

I tend to ignore the Reply button, but there is no need for it to be in every single post, and it's far too large.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,990 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: The "reply" button under every post.

They could at least make it a hover over pop up to make it look less obtrusive

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
10. Re: The "reply" button under every post.

I kinda agree with that, but then you'll have the "save" button flashing as well so you'll be having people complaining about too many flashing things going on and their eyes are hurting and they have to go have a lie down !!!!

CB