We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Improved" Trip Advisor Website

Louisville
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
"Improved" Trip Advisor Website

I'd like to express my dissatisfaction with the changes in the TripAdvisor website. You've made it extremely difficult for users to find my listing - and those of other tour guides in Lexington, KY!!!

I have to assume that your site improvements were designed by someone who doesn't consider ease of use to be very important.

Please, return to your old design - and help folks really FIND what they're looking for!

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Improved" Trip Advisor Website

Hi there

Can you just share the name of the tour please? Incidentally, the only major changes have been to the Forums.

CB

Edited: 01 April 2013, 16:56
Louisville
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Improved" Trip Advisor Website

I'm referring to LexingtonPrivateTour.com

I went to the newly-designed site and had trouble finding my own listing. If that's the case, can we expect visitors to the site to fare much better?

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Improved" Trip Advisor Website

Hi there

Before i continue i would like to say that the only section i use on here is the Forums - i am not a traveller so am not interested in other aspects of the site, however i have posted a handful of reviews but that is as far as my knowledge of other aspects of the site goes.

But, i found your tour company after 4 mouse clicks - of course with TA offering so many different types of accommodation/features etc the results will have to be filtered and be structured by levels/breadcrumbs and it was very easy to find it.

Just to reiterate, the site is not "newly desgined" only the forum is.

CB

Edited: 01 April 2013, 17:49
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,325 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Improved" Trip Advisor Website

The review section of the site was revised about 6? months ago but not in the recent roll out.

The Things to Do can now be found only in the green navigation bar whereas before last week it was also a link on the left side. Once there, there is the Activities tab with its subtab the Sightseeing Tours tab. I would definitely and automatically look through those tabs when looking at Lexington attractions. And would zero in on sightseeing tours to find you.

Another way to find you is to type a few letters of your business name into the search field above the green navigation bar, at which point the full business name appears.

I take your point though that the Attractions section was subdivided into more tabs with subtabs when it was redesigned. In all my TA life on this forum, your post may be the third one mentioning the change in design. The other two being posted here when the changes were made. That suggests to me that people may be generally okay with it.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 19:20
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "Improved" Trip Advisor Website

Just to put things into perspective, i typed in Lexington in the main search bar, then clicked Things To Do, then Activities i think then Tours and there it was, 2nd one down!!

As i say, i don't use the site for anything other than the forums and they are all bookmarked, so no navigation is required so if i can find it with 4 clicks (20 seconds) then hopefully others can.

Actually, have just noticed that if you type Lexington Tours in the main search bar then your company comes up :)

CB

Edited: 01 April 2013, 19:27
Louisville
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Improved" Trip Advisor Website

I politely, but emphatically disagree. My business used to be classified by TripAdvisor under a "Tours" category. Now, it's listed under "Activities" which is a much broader category. In finding my business with "4 clicks" you must remember that you are a veteran TripAdvisor user. This situation was brought to my attention by a friend who doesn't regularly use the site, but knew I'd gotten some positive reviews recently and wanted to see them. If HE had difficulty finding my listing, you can be certain that others will as well.

One more gripe! In trying to find a way to e-mail TripAdvisor about this situation, I found it all but impossible to do so. Their "Contact Us" link produces a series of FAQ's - with no means of contacting them! I guess my only option (unless you have a suggestion) is to snail-mail them.

My point is that if users can't find my business easily, it means they can't find others as well - and that's bad for all of us in the travel business. TripAdvisor has been an important source of revenue for me (and I'd guess for others in my category). I'd be very surprised if my # of contacts doesn't diminish.

Louisville
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Improved" Trip Advisor Website

Thanks for your comments, but a friend with no travel background found it difficult to find my posting, and that tells me others will as well. As for typing in a few letters of my company name, Google, Bing, and Yahoo perform the same function without a traveler even having to go to TripAdvisor - but both searches assume that someone even knows the name of my business. I'd say most TripAdvisor site visitors are looking for information, not a specific business. The revisions make it harder for the average person to do so.

I have to wonder if TripAdvisor ever used a focus group to test its revisions.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,682 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Improved" Trip Advisor Website

"I have to wonder if TripAdvisor ever used a focus group to test its revisions"

No by many of us have been suggesting that for some time

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Improved" Trip Advisor Website

I'm pretty sure they use focus groups, or at least used to. I and many people I've heard from have been on them.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,412 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Improved" Trip Advisor Website

ALL tours and other business were moved to the Activities tab, then included in subcategories, such as Tours. I haven't read many posts by members who said they can't find tours. In fact, I haven't read any such complaints and it's been several months with the new structure.

Silvia