We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

Southern NJ
Level Contributor
1 post
114 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

I would like to see TripAdvisor include a transportation section that would include the ability to review the above subject.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

we find that the destination forums for the arrival city does a good job in these cases.

works in the aus forum anyway

Edited: 07 April 2013, 00:58
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

Great idea. Also, nation-wide car services such as Uber. Hope TripAdvisor is listening.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

Hi to new posters russoofSNJ and Patrica C, welcome to the forums. Hmmm, I see russoofSNJ has't posted again since April!

The topic of allowing reviews for car rentals, shuttles and airlines appears in the forums from time to time. Last year, a TripAdvisor staff member commented about why they do not accept reviews for these.

Here it is:

Statement from TA_Jane May 28, 2012 regarding allowing car rental reviews:

"I can acknowledge that the idea of allowing users to review Car Rental Agencies has been submitted to our editors and administrators on multiple occasions in the past.

I honestly don't know if an official explanation has been offered by a TA Staff member, but I believe that the answer would be the same whether you proposed reviews of Car Rental Agencies, Travel Agencies, Airlines, or Mass Transit systems such as Rail, City Buses, Subway/Metro; while these businesses and services are inarguably a legitimate aspect of a user's "travel experiences", the anticipation is that-- just like the comments we publish in our Air Travel forums -- the reviews would be almost unanimously negative, which would be unfair to the reputations of those businesses."

--

Note the last 17 words. In my experience in the forums, that is correct.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 00:04
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,222 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

That statement is very true.

It is almost entirely negative, and the only time persons wish to comment is when something had gone wrong.

IME people want to write about the end product/destination - hotels, restaurants, attractions etc, not how they got there - unless they've had issues. Compliments for any form of transport is almost exclusively as a response/retort to a negative post.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,569 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

The problem is the definition of a trip. Some have said that an airline is an integral partof a trip, which it is, when they suggest it would be benficial to write reviews. But how do you get to the airport? Many people use trains, taxi's, shuttles, buses, or coaches, so they must, by definition, also be part of the trip. Therefore, there would have to be reviews for all of the modes of transport, plus hire cars, ferries and anythign else I may have missed out.

The line has to be drawn somewhere, and for the reasons so eloquently laid out by TA and KVE1005, I think it is in the right place. Hotels, eating places and attractiosn can be reviewed, transportation companies can not, particularly as discussions about them can and do take place regularly in the various forums.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

the most commolnly ashked question on the forums I frequent is "how do we get from airport to Hotel *******"

having reviews ofsthe various options would allow people to guide those asking to the reviews of the various optoins.

I disagree that they would all be negative reviews.in the pst i have asked like the OP for the chance to review an (excellent )shuttle service but there is nowhere within TA to do so.

To place transfer services in with car hire,travel agencies etc is just plain wrong. and I really do not think that airport shuttle services would be entierly negative reviews, in fact quite possibly the opposite.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

I don't think there's much difference between this and car rentals, airlines, airports, taxis, and every other thing that some believe should have their own review section. I don't see them any different than I do the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, British Petroleum, Ford Motor Company, Michelin Tires, Champion Spark Plugs, and the National Weather Service. These are all things that affect travel, but fall under the category of "mundane things no one cares about until something goes wrong." Call me a nut, but I still think destination forums are the best places to deal with this kind of thing.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

if thats the case then why not have all hotels , resturaunts and cheese shops as things best mentioned on forums, what about all the various attractions that get listed ,why not just make them forum only.

TA just does not seeem to like promoting the destination forums and there has been many calls for the actual link to the forum to be made much more promimant.So if TA want people to use the forum to find out about local services such as Airport transfers then they can either allow a review section or make the forums feature much more in the main pages of the website.

It seeems TA are quite happy for reviews of spas, hairdressers and shops that sell cheese than they are of offering reviews of essential travel related companies.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 06:24
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,222 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

>>> I really do not think that airport shuttle services would be entierly negative reviews, in fact quite possibly the opposite<<<

Wouldn't this depend on the location/destination city?

It's only one example, but Sydney is one place where nobody ever recommends shuttle services. Isn't London another? IME, the common 'deteriorating' factor is transport alternatives. If a particular airport has multiple options such as taxi, limousine, train - anything price competitive - it's usually the shuttle buses which are the most poor in service/delivery and product.

My other concern is that whilst reviews can be written for all these transport modes, I can't see how the reviews can be about the same product. A review for a taxi, shuttle bus, train, airline - all these reviews would be written about that persons experience on that given day, on that route, with that driver/crew, on that date. The likelihood that the next person reviewing it has the exact same conditions is very remote. So effectively it's like reviewing a completely different service. It wouldn't provide feedback for consistently the same product.

Broadly speaking, I personally think reviews should be for things that don't move - restaurants, hotels, attractions, purely on the basis that it has less variables.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Shuttle Service Reviews

>> The likelihood that the next person reviewing it has the exact same conditions is very remote.<<

Good point! True, if you're checking into a hotel, you might get the rather taciturn (but efficient) 50 year old fellow at the desk instead of the cute (but efficient) 25 year old chickadee, but the room is going to be the same either way.

I know "cheese shops" really . . . er . . . *grate* on you, unclegus, LOL, but TA considers all places to get food to be 'restaurants', including ice cream shops, McDonalds, and yes even cheese shops ;-)

--

Yelp reviews everything including gas stations.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 21:11