We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,067 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

I've used this app for a long time on FB. No problem with my privacy settings. Now, in order to use it, I get this message which I cannot consent to because I'd be consenting on TripAdvisor using my friend's private information. If I click on Cancel (instead of okay), I get into a loop (tried in two different browsers). It won't even accept canceling, without closing FaceBook.

"TripAdvisor would like to access your public profile, friend list, email address, work history, status updates, education history, hometown, current city, photos, likes and *** your friends' work histories, status updates, education histories, hometowns, current cities, photos and likes. *** "(asterisks added for emphasis)

Please give us an option to use the app without involving our friends' list, their histories, likes, photos, etc.

Silvia

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,603 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

OTT! Where does it stop?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

People complain about loosing our privacy over the internet and now TA wants you to give up your friends? This is one reason I won't do facebook anymore. What if I didn't want my "friend" to give this info to TA so they could use this app? Would I have any recourse? TA has no business asking me to give up any of my "friends" private information. To me, this is very scary.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,067 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

Bump.

It'll be nice if TripAdvisor could comment on this. I'd love to use the app but can't do any more without agreeing on TripAdvisor accessing my FB friends private info.

Silvia

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

There is also no need for two prompts every time you enter the application asking whether you are sure that you don't want to Spam all of your friends with invites. It also doesn't give you any option to select which friends to invite

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
5. Re: Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

Hi Silvia and all,

I asked our social team about this and they said that we are collecting data to personalize your experience. While we don't use it all today, we use things such as Likes, check-ins, and photos to show where your friends have traveled.

Jeanine

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

Jeanine,

Thank you for the response. With all due respect to the team, though, it seems that the data collection doesn't sit well with many of us. We appreciate a personalized experience, but we'd rather do our own "personalizing" when it comes to collecting data on our unsuspecting FB friends. Any chance at solving this problem?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

The news reports are full of the impacts of excessive and inappropriate data collection! ;-)

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
8. Re: Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

Thanks exterior_corridors and mymsman,

I don't have any input beyond what our social team passed on last night, however they are aware of your concerns and are watching this thread. Thanks for your feedbck!

Jeanine

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

Count me as another "I don't like this vote." I can't tell you the number of things I *won't* do on Facebook (or other sites) simply because they ask to access information on me, my friends, etc.

hlo

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,067 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loosen up the requirements to use Cities I've Visited on FB

Thanks for responding, Jeanine.

I have no problem in letting TA access my profile and data, but I cannot, under any circumstances, allow TA access to my friends', which is what TA is doing by checking where my FB friends have "Likes, check-ins, and photos to show where your friends have traveled.? It is not up to me to give an app permission to use my friends' data.

I understand that many FB apps do this as by now I encountered this message from others apps. Needless to say, I didn't use them.

At the same time, I wouldn't appreciate my friends given any app access to my data. That's my prerogative, not theirs.

Silvia

Edited: 02 July 2013, 19:03