We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

Hi TA,

It would be great to have the ability to save a forum post as a draft before publishing.

Perhaps I'm just a klutz, but too many times I have written a lengthy response to a poster's question, and when I navigate to a web page to include a link in my reply, I'll forget to open a new tab on my browser, and all of my work will be lost.

If I could save my work as I go without publishing it, then when I do goof and navigate away from the page, I could at least recover the work I did up until the last time I saved it. (Of course, an auto save every 1-3 minutes feature would be even better!!)

Thanks.

Zed

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

Hi Zed,

I'm not certain which browser you're using. I'm using Safari in an iMac and can easily go back to what I was typing. Maybe it is a setting in your browser that you could adjust.

Leaving that aside, I agree that sometimes posts are very long, the page refreshes (I have this problem when typing in my iPad) and you lose everything even if you remember to open a new tab for your search.

Silvia

Edited: 09 July 2013, 19:08
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

Hi Silvia,

Sorry, I should have specified. I'm using IE10 (and it happened with earlier versions as well).

If I use the "Back" button to go back to the TA forum page I was typing on, everything that I typed is gone.

Zed

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

I work around this on Chrome and my smart phone by selecting and copying all my typed text before navigating away. Unfortunately, browsers do what you're saying they do. This is a simple step that won't take any more clicks than a "save draft" button.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

If I am writing anything long I will write it first in a word processor on my computer so that I can save it and revise it over a period of time and then cut and paste it into the web page when I am ready.

But like every computer user I have far too often experienced the pain when the system decides to throw a wobbly and lose all my hard work. :-(

TA has recently implemented an automated save of incomplete reviews perhaps they could implement a similar feature for forum posts.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

Although I cut and paste my response if I have to leave the page I'm responding on, I believe this is a very good idea.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

Thanks everyone...

I've done the word processing approach and the cut-and-paste approach, which are both deliberate actions when you know you don't have the time or when you know that you'll be intentionally navigating away from the page.

It's when that goofy mouse gets a mind of its own and clicks on something it shouldn't have, when it shouldn't have, that causes me problems. Yes, it's the mouse's fault and not this operator's fault! :-) Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)

In the meantime, I guess I'll be more diligent about writing drafts in word processing or copying and pasting, as well as taking up hand-eye coordination exercises... :-) (Not sure what to do about the computer "throw[ing] a wobbly" though...)

Zed

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,916 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

I do as others have said and compose all reviews and lengthy forum replies in Word and them C&P them into TA

Even with PM replies I normally copy the text before I hit send as you I quite often get system errors

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,120 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

I work with multiple tabs open. The one on the left is ALWAYS the main one, home plate so to speak. It will be whatever forum I am actively posting on. Everything else is secondary, tabbing out to the right of that tab. That way, I can work on secondary tabs for getting to the websites I want to link in my reply to a post. Those tabs always are labelled with the title of what the webpage is.

When I used to have my main, operating forum anywhere but the left one, I invariably made a mistake and lost everything. So I keep it on the left in its place of honour. When I'm finished replying to that main forum post, I will "x" away those secondary tabs and build new ones.

I will copy and save to a Word Doc a reply that has taken me a particularly long time to type or contains particularly "definitive" information.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 05:32
9. Re: Ability to Save Drafts of Forum Posts Before Posting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:17