We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the Forums on the Home Page?

New York, USA
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where are the Forums on the Home Page?

They used to be prominent, then they began hiding at the bottom (under all the ads). Now the only Forums that appear on my home page are ones for the city in which I live!

Obviously the site makes money from the hotel listings -- that's fine. But if you can't find the forums any more, people will stop using TriipAdvisor, which will be too bad. But there will be other, useful sites.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,797 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the Forums on the Home Page?

Hi,

Yes, many members complain that the forums are not prominently displayed on every page.

"Now the only Forums that appear on my home page are ones for the city in which I live!"

I'm not certain what you call 'your home page'. On Tripadvisor's home page and the beyond destination forums, there is a link to the Forums under More (top navigation menu).

While look at a particular city page (whether Tourism page, Travel guide, Hotels, etc.), in that same link "More" the Travel forum link will take you to that city's travel forum.

You can go to the Forums Home page by going to tripadvisor.com/forumhome

And you can search for a forum by typing the name of the town/city/country + forum in the search box on the top right of your screen.

"But if you can't find the forums any more, people will stop using TriipAdvisor, which will be too bad"

I'm not so sure about that. There are millions of people out there who are not interested in forums and will never use them.

Silvia

Edited: 20 July 2013, 00:36
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the Forums on the Home Page?

If you bookmark that link that Silvia gave you in post #1, it should work fine for all the forums. Don't forget to click on the "SEE ALL" at the bottom of the right hand column for more non-destination forums :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,842 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the Forums on the Home Page?

You can also look above your Original Post where it says "Browse Forums" click on the blue print "All" which will open up the Destination Forums and Beyond Destination Forums directory.

There are quite a few ways to get to the forums, it's just that no one can find them without asking here, or they are mazes of 5 clicks or more. :-)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the Forums on the Home Page?

Yet, on the mobile app they're right there in the middle of the screen. Half a scroll and a poke of the touch screen and you're there. I think if there's one place where the app beats the full site, this is it.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are the Forums on the Home Page?

The Traveler Articles (the wiki part of TA) are even more difficult to find and nobody knows that they exists.

And they are better than a very expensive printed guide (obsolete BEFORE even printing it) and necessary to get a broad idea of a location before diving on reviews or asking questions on forums...

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,489 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are the Forums on the Home Page?

I totally agree that the forums should have a far higher profile as to me they and the heart and soul of TA where a vast amount of information is sought and received each and every day

7. Re: Where are the Forums on the Home Page?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 05:17