We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More categories for eating out places

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
More categories for eating out places

I keep coming across really good eating places which don't really fit into the "restaurant" category and yet are little gems. These are rarely listed on Tripadvisor and some contributors are probably put off by not finding a suitable category to place these in.

So how about broadening out "Restaurant" to Eating places and a special category for "street food". There is a growing trend for quality street food in London and the concept is already well established elsewhere around the world.

One such hidden gem is situated next to Trocadero. Easily missed, but it serves authentic Indian street food as ridiculously low prices. I can list many others. None are on Tripadvisor.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,612 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More categories for eating out places

There are many food carts listed. You can request a listing for any eating place you know as long as it complies with the restaurant listing guidelines:

tripadvisor.com/help/restaurant_lng_guidelin…

To request a listing start n this page searching for the listing:

www.tripadvisor.com/reviewit

When the database does not find it, click on the blue hyperlink Tell Us More About It, right below "not found".

I agree with you that it'd be better if TripAdvisor changes the Restaurant label for something more inclusive of other eating places. They need to do the same with the Hotel label. We have been suggesting Accommodations for many years.

Silvia

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More categories for eating out places

I would like to suggest a fundamental change in this area. It is ridiculous to have restaurants covering locations like ice cream parlours, take-aways , bakeries and coffee shops, etc. Restaurants should be locations where one sits down with service to have meals and drinks, and where bookings are taken. Tripadvisor should have separate categories to make restaurant selection easier. For example the second best restaurant is a major UK location is an ice cream bar. This is stupid.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 12:45
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,765 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More categories for eating out places

>>"For example the second best restaurant is a major UK location is an ice cream bar."<<

Au contraire !

The second *most popular* restaurant is a major UK location is an ice cream bar.

…custhelp.com/app/…20rating

Ranking #1 = most popular, NOT the best.

Best Regards

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,261 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: More categories for eating out places

I seldom do this but I agree with Rescue Team,the ratings are naught but a popularity contest and not a very good one at that.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More categories for eating out places

TripAdvisor is fussy sometimes about listing food trucks, since many do not have a permanent location. They do, however, list any type of tiny, "hole-in-the-wall" takeaway place, as long as they can determine that it exists and is open to the public!

I have added a lot of properties to TA and sometimes have had to re-submit them . . . sometimes twice . . . it takes perseverance.

Andrew T, TripAdvisor considers any place where you can get any type of food to be a "restaurant". And yes, the "dots" are a measure of a person's satisfaction, not a rating as in Michelin stars :-)

6. Re: More categories for eating out places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 06:21